Dd-wrt/open Wrt

When you mean plug and play, what do you mean?

I know it sounds like standard advice, but check the forums, as there is just about every sort of configuration available out there in the forums.

Only for the likes of telot and co, at the beginning, I would have had lots of trouble (VM on Mac), but now I am flying along.

Describe what you want to do and we'll help.

I have this configuration. I reconfigured ddwrt to supply dhcp addresses on 172.16.42.x. (Make sure dhcp doesnt give out address 1 or 42) DD-wrt's static address is 172.16.42.42 and the pineapple has a static of 172.16.42.1. It should work from there.

I'm hooked up via the WAN port to my router. The MK4 will receive an IP address from the router (if setup with DHCP).

Add this to your rc.local or add it to the WPS script:

iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o wlan0 -s 172.16.42.0 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE

Now all your traffic will be rerouted through the WAN port.

You can still connect to 172.16.42.1 on the LAN port/WIFI or to the IP address assigned from the router when accessing via the router network.

Regards,

Wouter

Edited by wouter301

That setup should work ok, but when out & about, you won't be able to connect via another openwrt.

The method I use may sound a bit clunky, but it works 100% for me every time. I don't have to perform a lengthy setup every-time.

I use Mac 10.7, running Backtrack5 in parrallels. I Also use a USB wifi card that supports monitor mode (look around this site for your favorite.

I then use Internet connection sharing on my mac to provide internet to the vm. The vm then uses the usb as its own native wifi.

I run the wp4.sh script, selecting my wired(virtual) connection (eth0) as my connection to the internet, and wlan0 as my connection to the spikey fruit. This setup allows for a wire-free setup which should work anywhere - i.e, you are in at a cafe, you legitimately connect with your mac connection, and this passes the connection to the Pineapple.

It's actually fairly easy. My description doesn't do it proper justice.

post-39159-0-15398400-1337545691_thumb.p

Edited by RebelCork