Choosing A Usb Wireless Adapter For Backtrack

frankenfish

I would concur with brianzimm's suggestion. The AWUS036H is a pretty good adapter for most things. You could find it a few bucks cheaper elsewhere, but why not support the show and buy it from the HakShop?

If you can afford to spend a bit more, look for a Ubiquiti SR71 adapter. They come in a few different packages (USB, CardBus, ExpressCard, mPCI, mPCIe) but they're all rocking an Atheros chipset which I consider to be superior to the Realtek chipset in the AWUS036H. Of particular interest to me was that the AWUS036H doesn't support ad-hoc mode, but the SR71 adapters do. The other advantage is that you can just replace the card in your laptop (or install it as a spare if you have a free slot) and not have to carry around a separate device.

Always check the chipset and revisions against their wiki if you aren't sure on the card you are purchasing - http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Drivers#Tested_and_working_cards

I bought the newest version the

Alfa AWUS036NHR High-Gain 2000mw 2W 802.11 B/G/N Wireless USB Network Adaptor

I have been reading mixed reviews, has anyone tried the AWUS036NH or the AWUS036NHR to compare the different versions?

The AWUS036NH is verified working, no idea about the AWUS036NHR though.

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Drivers

Have you tried it on your machine yet?