Suggestions

Batman

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a student in college majoring in Cyber Security and Digital Forensics. I work full time as a clerk, and during the work day I have A LOT of downtime, which I normally spend doing my homework. I've already completed a couple of my basic classes, like A+ Hardware, and LAN, and this summer I'm signed up for a+ software (no financial aid for summer, so I can only afford 1 class). Anyway, looking ahead at the classes I'll need to take, I'd like to know if anyone could suggest some resources of information so I can get a head start. I'll have all summer long to pretty much read constantly for 8 hours straight. I've gotten my own USB Rubber Ducky and started tinkering with that (although that's a home project - anything plugged into the network at work gets scanned. I've already been flagged once for downloading Pyblade at work and storing it on my Flash drive to play with at home).

So anyway, here's a list of some upcoming courses for my degree.. Like I said, if you know any good resources where I could get information to extend my base of knowledge for the courses, I'd appreciate the suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

drooster

Cisco Router Technology

Microsoft Windows Server

Cyber Security Fundamentals

Wireless Networks

Computer Virtualization Technology

Information Assurance

Cyber Security

Computer Forensics

Advanced Cyber Security

Digital Systems

Fundamentals of microprocessors

I like your fields of study, just adding to that list of your a couple more.

CEH (certified ethical hacker)

CCNA

Security +

Now for the sources, I'd suggest checking out securitytube.bet, irongeek.com and anti-forensics.com

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly (and I know allot of people will disagree with me on this one) do as much as you can!

No matter what field of IT you are in, it is important to know as much about all of the surrounding technologies because trust me, you will eventually come across them.

Personally I am in IT Networking/Network Security, most of my colleagues only have experience and certifications in Networking and it shows.

It helps me a great deal to know about, Data storage, servers, Microsoft, virtualization, VoIP, CCTV, when there are problems with a network.

Probably the biggest must have if you ask me is CCNA - it is a great course for learning networking fundamentals (Far better than N+)

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly (and I know allot of people will disagree with me on this one) do as much as you can!

No matter what field of IT you are in, it is important to know as much about all of the surrounding technologies because trust me, you will eventually come across them.

Personally I am in IT Networking/Network Security, most of my colleagues only have experience and certifications in Networking and it shows.

It helps me a great deal to know about, Data storage, servers, Microsoft, virtualization, VoIP, CCTV, when there are problems with a network.

Probably the biggest must have if you ask me is CCNA - it is a great course for learning networking fundamentals (Far better than N+)

I wouldn't disagree and in fact, the more you know the better it will be for you and your job career. It will make you stand out more in the crowd. Of course, It will be a disadvantage for some, because they lack the experience but for you its a benefit that pays off.

Edited by Infiltrator