Network Help

krew7900

So i lost my other account krew790 so made a new one; but here my main question.

So i playing bf3 with fine ping of 100 and less but then when my roommate turns on his pc my ping turns to 1000 and above and get hit with massive lag.

But lets say i am playing and someone turns on wdtv with netflix i don't notice any lag, or if other roommates turn on laptops.

I know previously his laptop had a virus that would ping places and he claims he got rid of it.

So what the best way for me to tell what is hitting me that hard?

Do you know if your room mate, uses Torrents for downloading files. Torrent can have a huge impact sometimes!

Do you know if your room mate, uses Torrents for downloading files. Torrent can have a huge impact sometimes!

Nah he doesn't im looking at the traffic through cain and able just basic webpages such as twitter and streaming youtube videos.

Any of the packet analysers will show what is going on just get his Ip and Mac address if you can. Laptop get the Mac add for both Wireless and Eth adapter. Any Multicast Traffic will do this. Which a lot of video and voice apps use. Might want to look into a better router or a separate router and a managed switch so you can limit band width for application like Voip (64kbs). I have not researched if putting him on his own vlan will help. Mike

Any of the packet analysers will show what is going on just get his Ip and Mac address if you can. Laptop get the Mac add for both Wireless and Eth adapter. Any Multicast Traffic will do this. Which a lot of video and voice apps use. Look for an IP address on the range of 224.x.x.x to 239.x.x.x .Might want to look into a better router or a separate router and a managed switch so you can limit band width for application like Voip (64kbs). I have not researched if putting him on his own vlan will help. Mike

Any of the packet analysers will show what is going on just get his Ip and Mac address if you can. Laptop get the Mac add for both Wireless and Eth adapter. Any Multicast Traffic will do this. Which a lot of video and voice apps use. Might want to look into a better router or a separate router and a managed switch so you can limit band width for application like Voip (64kbs). I have not researched if putting him on his own vlan will help. Mike

Vlan is only good for segmenting and securing the network, his traffic will still be routed through the same gateway, unless there is a feature like QOS, that can help throttle his bandwidth, it won't help much.

On the other hand, I agree he should try using Wireshark to analyze the traffic and see what's hogging the bandwidth.

• 2 months later...