Alfa Rtl8187

SaaK

Hi Hak5. I've a alfa RTL8187 external modem to use wifi. I've good range of signal while im using this in my college among with my friends. what i want to ask is, How can i increase the priority of my modem to get maximum speed than others on wifi? Pls help to Know.

Hi Hak5. I've a alfa RTL8187 external modem to use wifi. I've good range of signal while im using this in my college among with my friends. what i want to ask is, How can i increase the priority of my modem to get maximum speed than others on wifi? Pls help to Know.

Are you able to provide some pictures or links of how your modem looks like? Because from the researches I've done it doesn't look like its a modem, it looks more like an Alfa USB Wireless Card.

Edited by Infiltrator

@infiltrator, I'm pretty sure that's what he meant

@Saak, you would have to have admin access to the wireless ap, and even then it would need to support some kind of quality of service to give yourself priority.

If you have access to the AP let us know what model it is and we can go further from there.

I am sure that's what he meant, but his phraseology was a bit unclear.

post-38927-0-19750900-1333444668_thumb.j

Are you able to provide some pictures or links of how your modem looks like? Because from the researches I've done it doesn't look like its a modem, it looks more like an Alfa USB Wireless Card.

This is the wireless Card im using in my college.

@Saak, you would have to have admin access to the wireless ap, and even then it would need to support some kind of quality of service to give yourself priority.

If you have access to the AP let us know what model it is and we can go further from there.

NO mr.combatwombat27, im using this wireless card in our collge. and we dont have any privilages to access the router.

Without that access I'm not sure there is much of anything you can do but make sure you have a good signal and such. Someone else here may know more options

Yeah that won't help much, you better off with your own internet, you don't want to change settings on someone else wireless without their authorization.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you using WiFi provided to you by the college, or is it another student who is sharing their WiFi with you? It seems safe to assume it's not a friend, since you can not get admin access to the AP's OS (unless it's a friend who doesn't trust you). In that case, I have some ideas, which may or may not be completely far fetched and unrealistic, so we will need some genuine experts to weigh in on their pheasability.

Before that, though, can you tell me the results of a bandwidth/speed test? Are your speeds the same, higher, or lower than others who live in your building? Also, what do you know about the network infrastructure that serves you? If you are using WiFi provided by the school, then I would imagine each student/dorm room has his/her/its own VPS, or some other sort of seperation of network client devices. Do oyu know if that is true or not? Does the local infrastructure serve 25 clients, or 2,500? Is everyone using a single WiFi radio for internet access, and if not, how many radios do you think might serve your building? What is the intended bandwidth of your connection? Do you want to increase your network speed only so that you will have some advantage over your friends in the building (say, for LAN gaming), or do you just want your internet downloads to be faster?

The first idea would be to inspect your own DNS record entries in order to find the time of day/date when your DHCP server assigns you an IP address on the network. If you could pinpoint a time and day when your old lease will expire, and when you will definitely get a new IP address if you ask for one, maybe you can use that to your advantage. Maybe if you were first in line to get your brand new IP address and DHCP lease, maybe that would put you first in line for packet routing? This is where more info about your network equipment/infrastructure might be useful. Definitely need a real experts opinion here either way.

The second idea would be to ask the person who administers the buildings network infrastructure to be your friend, and to then ask that new friend to give you a little bit of a bandwidth priority. It probably wouldn't take a drastic change in priority to get your connection speed up to a better level.

A third, albeit less than favorable, idea would be to just prioritize the bandwidth you already have so that the things you want to download faster, have a chance at getting a greater portion of your available bandwidth. There are countless ways to do this, and here is another time when a software market expert could really help. I know there are some very easy to use and free software programs out there that will tell you what software has a current TCP/IP connection, each of which will use bandwidth. Then you could just kill some of those in order to give the more important connections their needed speed increase. TCPEye should do the trick. If not, there are untold numbers of other similar software, and probably even a tool built in to Windows that would do the trick.

Fourth idea; couldn't you maybe just use a long CAT5e cable? I of course do understand that there are plenty of times that, if you have to plug into something, then you woudl rahter just not be using the internet. There are also other times when you just sit there in front of the computer at your desk, and there is no need for any mobility. Of course, there's the possibility that there are no network wall jacks in the building, which is another reason we will need to know more about the buildings network infrastructure.

Edited by NegativeSpace