Adding 3g Modem To The Wi-fi Pineapple Iv

TylerCPU

Hi,

I recently got the Sierra 598U Modem from Ting(A sponsor of hak5 I think). Anyways I don't know what to do. I looked on the wifipineapple.com site only to find to lsusb and pipe the output to auk and find the pin numbers or something and change the config files AND do some iptables mojo among other things. HELP. It would be nice to have some step by step instructions. I'm not a total noob. I have a Wi-Fi Pineapple 2 and 4 working fine doing internet/jasager goodness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bump. would it be worth getting the Sierra 598u from ting.com to use with the Mark IV pineapple?

I picked up a Mark IV and the Ting 958u this week. I have a Mark I but didn't have the free time to upgrade it and it looked like the Mark IV had new HW.

When I saw Darren demo it and mention TING, it looked like he was using the Sierra 958u usb modem with it. Turns out the out of the box does not support that modem.

Anybody got any idea how to get the 958u to boot the Mark IV for some portable man in the middle ?

Thanks

Fan since the Virginia days

• 1 month later...

I picked up a Mark IV and the Ting 958u this week. I have a Mark I but didn't have the free time to upgrade it and it looked like the Mark IV had new HW.

When I saw Darren demo it and mention TING, it looked like he was using the Sierra 958u usb modem with it. Turns out the out of the box does not support that modem.

Anybody got any idea how to get the 958u to boot the Mark IV for some portable man in the middle ?

Thanks

Fan since the Virginia days

YAY, -brianzimm has added support for the Sierra 598u and Huawei E398 in the latest firmware.

YAY, -brianzimm has added support for the Sierra 598u and Huawei E398 in the latest firmware.

Yep got the Sierra 598u in the mail last month and got it working. Enjoy. :rolleyes:

• 6 months later...

It should, but you will need to add it to the 3g.sh file. You may want to look here too http://forums.hak5.o..._40#entry206030

thank you, I appreciate it. Seems that trail went cold on the other thread. Perhaps I should look in to another modem.

Do you have any suggestions for any 4g capable, unlocked modem? I don't mind if it's GSM or not. Just don't want anything that's junk, and nothing that's 200$ either. Any suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated as I've no experience with 3g modems at all. Just found this one laying around.

If I can spend 40-50$ and save myself a headache, it'll be well worth it. Thanks again.