Novatel 760 And Storage

hfam

In anticipation of the MK4, and based on Darren's demonstration previously, I purchased a Virgin Novatel 760 3G pay-as-you-go modem.

I noted that it ALSO can act dually as USB storage, taking a MicroSD card up to 8GB.

So, we know the MK4 will natively support the 760 as a modem.

When I use the 760 on the MK4 as the 3G connectivity, is there a way to get the MK4 to also address the 8GB USB storage the 760 provides?

That would really "kill 2 birds with one stone" by providing the 3G, PLUS providing 8GB of storage for SSLstrip, etc.

As a secondary question, if the answer is "yes" to the above, will there be plans for HakShop (per earlier discussions on future MK4 plans) to release an 8GB MicroSD card which contains the extra scripting and functionality...so for the many of us who are going to use the 760 could seamlessly purchase the "pre-loaded" 8GB cards when they're ready to release?

Thanks again to everyone involved with this project...amazing work!!

When I use the 760 on the MK4 as the 3G connectivity, is there a way to get the MK4 to also address the 8GB USB storage the 760 provides?[/b][/i]

Perhaps, I'm working on it. The device shows up as /dev/sg0 and /dev/sg1 at first. Ejecting one of those (the "type 5" or CD-ROM one) will reveal the modem, typically at /dev/ttyUSB0

That would really "kill 2 birds with one stone" by providing the 3G, PLUS providing 8GB of storage for SSLstrip, etc.

Exactly. I love the idea of using the MC760 as both a modem and storage. In fact all of the USB Mobile Broadband Modems I've encountered have MicroSD slots. I presume this is so that ISPs can load their crapware dialers.

One note on the MC760, if you're looking for one and you fancy the Ting.com service they're currently sponsoring Hak5 and offering viewers $50 off a device. Seeing that the Ting.com Novatel MC760 is $45 you can get one free. Their data plans are a pay-as-you-go and pay-for-what-you-use model, so like 100MB is $3 and it goes up from there at about 2 cents a meg. Sorry if that sounds much like an ad, they are a sponsor, though I actually wrote the Ting support for this modem before I found that out. Rev3 was pretty stoked to hear I'm a fan of the service. It's just cheap enough to not even think about for a constant SSH session. The $50 off URL is http://ting.com/hak5

As a secondary question, if the answer is "yes" to the above, will there be plans for HakShop (per earlier discussions on future MK4 plans) to release an 8GB MicroSD card which contains the extra scripting and functionality...so for the many of us who are going to use the 760 could seamlessly purchase the "pre-loaded" 8GB cards when they're ready to release?

Possibly. We will for sure have some sort of storage option in the near future. Development focus was primarily on getting essential features up, running and solid like 3G, Karma, SSH, and to pretty it all up. Now that we've hit the 1.0 milestone I'm focusing on accessories. Batteries, cases, storage, modems, "hidden in plain sight enclosures". We'll more than likely have an tar of goodies to be loaded on an EXT4 formatted drive, USB or MicroSD -- either as an upgrade pack or through a module system that's in the works. Imagine a "jasager app store" (except it's all free).

Thanks again to everyone involved with this project...amazing work!!

Huge shouts to Robin Wood and Sebkinne!!

Perhaps, I'm working on it. The device shows up as /dev/sg0 and /dev/sg1 at first. Ejecting one of those (the "type 5" or CD-ROM one) will reveal the modem, typically at /dev/ttyUSB0

Exactly. I love the idea of using the MC760 as both a modem and storage. In fact all of the USB Mobile Broadband Modems I've encountered have MicroSD slots. I presume this is so that ISPs can load their crapware dialers.

One note on the MC760, if you're looking for one and you fancy the Ting.com service they're currently sponsoring Hak5 and offering viewers $50 off a device. Seeing that the Ting.com Novatel MC760 is $45 you can get one free. Their data plans are a pay-as-you-go and pay-for-what-you-use model, so like 100MB is $3 and it goes up from there at about 2 cents a meg. Sorry if that sounds much like an ad, they are a sponsor, though I actually wrote the Ting support for this modem before I found that out. Rev3 was pretty stoked to hear I'm a fan of the service. It's just cheap enough to not even think about for a constant SSH session. The $50 off URL is http://ting.com/hak5

Possibly. We will for sure have some sort of storage option in the near future. Development focus was primarily on getting essential features up, running and solid like 3G, Karma, SSH, and to pretty it all up. Now that we've hit the 1.0 milestone I'm focusing on accessories. Batteries, cases, storage, modems, "hidden in plain sight enclosures". We'll more than likely have an tar of goodies to be loaded on an EXT4 formatted drive, USB or MicroSD -- either as an upgrade pack or through a module system that's in the works. Imagine a "jasager app store" (except it's all free).

Huge shouts to Robin Wood and Sebkinne!!

Hi Darren,

Outstanding, thanks for the reply! Sounds like you're well on your way to making the USB Storage/Modem dual functionality happen. I too LOVE the idea of having the dual-purpose device on the single USB port! Here's hoping you can get the issues sorted, keep up the great work!!

On the 3G issue, thanks for the heads-up on the Ting option! I did notice that there is a $35 activation fee on their 3G dongle which is no big deal to me since you essentially get the device for free with the Hak discount. Most important to me, however, is that I don't see a way to use their service unless I sign up for it with monthly usage (i.e. I have to provide a CC to use their service). For those that don't mind doing that, it's great as it looks like it rolls over the minutes and/or only bills you for what you use. The prices are definitely right, and the "$50 off" bonus is awesome!

I've got the Virgin Mobile version of the 760 you used in the early MK4 demo video, and the only advantage I see to that version is that you can activate it anonymously, and also buy "top-up" cards in an anonymous fashion to top off the service without providing any CC info, etc, that ties to the account.

On the "jasager app store", I am absolutely blown away at your vision for where Jasager is headed!! That sounds absolutely amazing!!! Couple that with the Neinsager, Tactical kits, and all the rest of the goodies on the way and you have an AMAZING recipe for longevity and endless functionality!

I've said a million times, and I'll say it a million more, you guys have really taken this project (at the risk of sounding cliche) to a whole other level. I couldn't be more excited for the MK4 hitting 1.0, and you just keep packin' the excitement into the expectations for upcoming improvements!!

Your vision on this project is amazing, and that you built it on a "beginning of life" chipset makes it REALLY exciting to see where it's going to go!

Thanks again for the thoughtful responses, Darren. Keep up the amazing work, brother!!