Wcid On Bt5

SaaK

I have a problem on connecting the wcid wi fi manager in Back Track 5 . Whenever i tries to connect to it , it shows an error message as" Could not connect to the Wcid's D bus interface".

Pls help making this forum to rectify this problem. Im using BT5 in Vmware and uses RTL8187(Alfa) for Wi fi Device.

I think wicd always gets some kind of error on startup, so ignore that.

1, Make sure the wireless card is seen and working in general, and is started ("ifconfig wlan0 up" - or whatever the NIC ID is for the card). Once its up, wicd should show access points in your area.

2, Make sure its not in monitor mode or it won't be able to associate with any access points ("iwconfig wlan0 mode managed")

3, make sure the access point in question isn't 802.11N only, and can do B and G. Backtrack for whatever reason, doesn't seem to connect to N only access points. Might be fixed in latest release, but hasn't worked for me in the past.

Open terminal and run(as root)

wicd

This should start the wicd daemon. Then try to open the wicd client from applications menu.

Edited by DownMoney

Open terminal and run(as root)

wicd

This should start the wicd daemon. Then try to open the wicd client from applications menu.

i was able to work around the problem

1. hit connect in wicd to the ap u want

2. open terminal and issue "iwconfig [interface] key [key for ap]"

so it should look like this

iwconfig wlan0 key sdfsdfgsdf

also i also noticed that once you have your card in mon0 mode you have to stop mon0 and then restart wlan0