hanshot1st

If your wifi is built in run this and post results: lspci

If your wifi is a USB stick run this and post results: lsusb

To see if if the interface shows up: iwconfig

"

lsusb:

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0402:7675 Ali Corp.

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 13fe:3800 Kingston Technology Company Inc.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub"

"iwconfig:

lo: no wireless extensions

eht0: no wireless extensions"

Yes updating drivers is simple, but you need to "find" drivers for your interface. You will need to determin what kind of wireless chipset you are running and then download the appropriate driver for it in Linux, and then install it... It can be an EXTREME pain. I honestly would completely reccomend investing in a external USB Wifi card like a Alfa. Most likely your card will not be completely supported anyways so you wil need to pick up another to get injecting packets... I am assuming your wifi card sucks. It could be perfect for wireless auditing but I don't know what kind you have.

Currently running BT5R1 on an Aspire One 722. Oddly enough i've been able to connect just find with it using Ubuntu (the actual installed OS), but Backtrack seems to need me to DL the drivers?

So my follow-up would be, how do i DL the drivers for an OS i am running "live", but not actually installed on a system that seems to run fine in a different flavor of Linux?

p.s. As a sidenote. Ever since i've had Ubuntu installed i have a semi-transparent "Unsupported hardware" AMD box in the lower right that doesn't go away. Have asked on other forums how to get this to go away to no avail. =(

Edited by hanshot1st

Honestly if I were you, I'd just go and buy an Alfa awus036h. It will save you a lot of headaches and plus it works out of the box, since backtrack already has the drivers for it.