Future Of Computing

digip

I recently read an article how Microsoft has OEM's signing agreements to limit certain ARM devices, so it can only run Windows 8. Something like a tablet, someone might want to put Linux on for example, would be limited to only be aloud to run Windows, due to code signing, and UEFI. Basically, you wouldn't be able to boot the devices, unless its bios firmware, was written to allow it.

Watch this video, it kind of describes this around the 17 minute mark. In general, this is a GREAT talk, but also a good understanding about DRM, why it doesn't work, and how lawmakers and software companies like Microsoft are going to limit our abilities to use our hardware in the future. Microsoft is not the focus here, and they aren't even mentioned, but one can look at the iPad for an example of that walled garden mentality, about how you can only run what they allow you to run, or approve to be run on their devices.

Bring it on Microsoft, your attempts to restrict Windows 8 installation only, will not last for too long. Someone will figure out a way to bypass it, like they always do.

Bring it on Microsoft, your attempts to restrict Windows 8 installation only, will not last for too long. Someone will figure out a way to bypass it, like they always do.

Well, Windows is not the only culprit in this nor the only one who is creating the "walled garden" effect. That wasn't the focus of the video or my post, was only given as an example. At some point, I may have to just go all Linux though. I just can't live without Photoshop and my games, so I think Windows 7 will be the last Windows OS I own. I'm more than happy with Windows 7, and I think its their best OS to date. Still hate Vista though and would rather have XP over vista. If you could give me Windows 98, with full on NTFS integration, that would be killer, since its requirements and footprint as so small, a hacked up version of it would be able to run on most anything(other than it only being 16 bit and requiring a complete update to 64bit support, NTFS, and modern TCP/IP stacks).