Cain and Abel concerns

Troubleshooter

I want to install cain and abel on my computer but i have some concerns. I am afraid I might accidently perform a attack on myself or somthing this may seem a little silly. Especailly concerned with this ARP posioning feature. Also If I install it on my computer is there any chance of it messing somthing else up. I have never really used a network sniffer before but I carious to try this one out. If there's any thing you can tell me that I should know that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

as far as i kno there isn't much u can do wrong (well u can in the sence of so it dont work but not in the sence of breaking something)

if ure really scared/afraid of f*cking up u can maby run itin a virtual machine ...

just get yerself informed :P maby read some manuals or a help file ....

greetz , DLSS

ps sparda will prolly b here soon to give his chunk of advice :P

Ye, i'm here now, cain and able can't cause any perminant damage. The worst that you could do if mess up the ARP table on your switch. If you do then you can either wait for the ARP poison to time out (usualy 60 seconds) or turn it off and on again.

Yeah doing permanent damage is very difficult unless you really want to. But do be careful before you start playing around if you aren't on a network that is completely yours. There have been people here at my university that has been caught messing around with tools they don't understand, because most tools are very visible if you know what to look for. Luckily for them they just had to ask the administrator for forgiveness and promise never to do it again.

Shouldn't have any problems then. One thing to be aware of is while most windows firewalls won't stop an arp posioning, I know that some will interfere with it and cause problems across the entire network. Outpost Firewall 3.5 notices the attack, and puts out its own ARP packets[this isn't the right word?] and bring down your network due to multiple entrys. And on my router it means rebooting everything to fix it.