Simple HTML question? v.menu boxes

kYd

Um, no, I don't think that's how it works. With SELECT and OPTION tags you define a list with predefined values. The missing part is the manual entry of an unlisted value.

Unfortunately I also don't know how (or even if) this can be done with plain HTML, so I can't help you there.

The thing is, you see a lot of Ajax-enabled sites that do this nowadays. You type something and a drop-down list gets shown underneath it with matching values, but I get the feeling they're using a list in a hovering div tag and some Javascript to transfer the value you select from the list into the textbox you were originally typing in.

But that's a guess, really.

The sort of thing google does as you search for something you've searched before, would be good if this was possible in just javascript & html.

The closest thing I can find (as I m not a very competent in javascript, so googled) is this. But it only allows one of the options to be edited and doesn't recognize if an input is the same as one on the list. Which if updating a database is important for linking tables etc.

I think my big book of javascript is going to have to have the cobwebs brushed away tonight.

Ok thanks guys, it doesn't matter. Basically the only reason I want it is for my

proxy, as I know alot of people use some common sites like myspace so I can have that in the list, but for those who don't they can just type in what they want. I'll just put some text links next to the URL form.

Ok thanks guys, it doesn't matter. Basically the only reason I want it is for my
 proxy, as I know alot of people use some common sites like myspace so I can have that in the list, but for those who don't they can just type in what they want. I'll just put some text links next to the URL form.

You make the proxy or did you get it from a site if you made it im sure you can make 'pulldown menu box' :S

You make the proxy or did you get it from a site if you made it im sure you can make 'pulldown menu box' :S

Nope lol I can't programme for $***

I'll have a dable in dreamweaver now prosk8r. I'll report back. Thanks

yes it is possible. The most easest way to do it is get a webpage maker, then insert the drop down box, the isert everyything you need into it. Then when your done view the html and copy and past. I also know the dreamworks does it.

Check out the 3rd post in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Old thread. I know. BUT! Through chance I ran across a website that explains how a little bit of javascript and CSS can be used to create the requested ComboBox for the various browsers out there.

http://www.tgreer.com/comboArticle.html

So, now you know. :)

Cheers Coopers, I'll check it out.

I also found this website www.ajaxed.com which is ajax obviously and all that you do is make a list of enteries on the site and copy a few lines into your page, pretty simple.