Virtualization Clusters And Remote Desktop

Ender Wiggin

Hello all,

After watching the episodes on proxmox a while back I got an idea for a computer lab at my university. We have old dell computers we use in a Linux class that teaches basic configuration and administration of Linux boxes. I'd like to be able to use a pretty good server we have and virtualize the entire lab. This would let there be multiple sections of the class taught instead of one section a semester. I'd like to be able to have the student machines be able to remote in to the virtual machines hosted on the server. Proxmox doesn't seem to support this and Citrix Xen and VMware vSphere have pretty pricey solutions to this. I was wondering if you guys had heard any open source solutions to my project. I've been searching for a while now I just don't know where to look next. Thanks for sticking through the long read!

Hello all,

After watching the episodes on proxmox a while back I got an idea for a computer lab at my university. We have old dell computers we use in a Linux class that teaches basic configuration and administration of Linux boxes. I'd like to be able to use a pretty good server we have and virtualize the entire lab. This would let there be multiple sections of the class taught instead of one section a semester. I'd like to be able to have the student machines be able to remote in to the virtual machines hosted on the server. Proxmox doesn't seem to support this and Citrix Xen and VMware vSphere have pretty pricey solutions to this. I was wondering if you guys had heard any open source solutions to my project. I've been searching for a while now I just don't know where to look next. Thanks for sticking through the long read!

ESXi is free. As long as you don't need centralized management, failover, etc., it works quite well at no (software) cost. I played with ProxMox for a while, and I just did not care too much for it. I have used VMWare for so long I suspect I am brainwashed :).

ESXi is free. As long as you don't need centralized management, failover, etc., it works quite well at no (software) cost. I played with ProxMox for a while, and I just did not care too much for it. I have used VMWare for so long I suspect I am brainwashed :).

I have to agree on that one as well, I have been using Vmware products for quite sometime now, I even tried using Proxmox but it didn't excite me at all. No disrespect, but it doesn't have what I want. Its good if you are new into the whole virtualization world, and need to start from somewhere.

Going back to your query, if you need advanced configurations such as load balancing or clustering, I would recommend ESXI. You will also need check if you hardware is compatible.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

Thanks for the advice. Still playing around with it. It seem i may need that centralized control which says to me there most likely isnt a free alternative for EXACTLY what I want to do. However I see no reason not to put vmware to use virtualizing a few crucial components of the network. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

hi i so the show of virtuwel Clustering and i have some old comps standing and seems fun to make al virtuwel Clustering.

i download proxmox and i dont seem to get it instald .

sbin/unconfigured.sb: line 107: 634 bus error zimit -- -- dpo 96 > /dev/ttyz 2>&2

i got the masige \ninstallation aborted - unable to continue (type exit or ctrl+d ti reboot)

can sombady help my solving the problim ?

thnx

Thanks for the advice. Still playing around with it. It seem i may need that centralized control which says to me there most likely isnt a free alternative for EXACTLY what I want to do. However I see no reason not to put vmware to use virtualizing a few crucial components of the network. Thanks again!

Well the control of the hosted VMs on the ESXi box would still be centralized. It just wouldn't be an active part of any other network deployments you might have on the back end. You can also look in to Citrix XenClient Enterprise - it's low cost and pretty powerful and I'm sure if you called them you could get even better pricing than they show on their website, hell maybe even free if you talk with the right people...