802.11n Standards

NegativeSpace

I have a new 802.11n router. I've told it to use the 5ghz band (in addition to 2.4ghz), but when I look for radio with inSSIDer, I don't see any radio on that frequency. Is this a router problem, a NIC problem, or a weak software problem, or is it not a problem and just a user error? I don't remember if I have ever seen any radio in the 5ghz band with my current NIC using inSSIDer, so maybe that is a clue.

Also, I don't know why my router is using both channels 11 and 7. IT says it uses 11 as primary and 7 as secondary. What is the purpose of that? Is it fault tolerance, with interference being the anticipated fault?

1) Does your wireless client adapter support dual bands 2.4ghz and 5ghz? Or a single band only?

2) Some new routers like the one I have at home a Linksys WAG320 support dual bands simultaneously, which means I can have a mix of clients operating on both bands 2.4ghz and 5ghz at the same time, that could indicate why you are seeing your router using both channels 11 and 7.

Edited by Infiltrator

I have a new 802.11n router. I've told it to use the 5ghz band (in addition to 2.4ghz), but when I look for radio with inSSIDer, I don't see any radio on that frequency. Is this a router problem, a NIC problem, or a weak software problem, or is it not a problem and just a user error? I don't remember if I have ever seen any radio in the 5ghz band with my current NIC using inSSIDer, so maybe that is a clue.

Also, I don't know why my router is using both channels 11 and 7. IT says it uses 11 as primary and 7 as secondary. What is the purpose of that? Is it fault tolerance, with interference being the anticipated fault?

If you are only seeing channels 11 and 7 then your router is likely set to 2.4ghz (in the US anyhow).

What is the model of the wlan card you are using and the router?

1) Does your wireless client adapter support dual bands 2.4ghz and 5ghz? Or a single band only?

2) Some new routers like the one I have at home a Linksys WAG320 support dual bands simultaneously, which means I can have a mix of clients operating on both bands 2.4ghz and 5ghz at the same time, that could indicate why you are seeing your router using both channels 11 and 7.

Yes, it supports simultaneous dual band. That's why I don't understand why I can't find 5ghz radio in the air. If the channel numbers directly reflect the frequency range of the signals, doesn't that mean that channels 7 and 11 are both in the 2.4ghz spectrum? If the router is radiating higher frequencies, shouldn't those show up on a radio scanner as much higher channels?

If you are only seeing channels 11 and 7 then your router is likely set to 2.4ghz (in the US anyhow).

What is the model of the wlan card you are using and the router?

The router is a Netgear N600 and the WLAN card is an Intel 1000

Yes, it supports simultaneous dual band. That's why I don't understand why I can't find 5ghz radio in the air. If the channel numbers directly reflect the frequency range of the signals, doesn't that mean that channels 7 and 11 are both in the 2.4ghz spectrum? If the router is radiating higher frequencies, shouldn't those show up on a radio scanner as much higher channels?

Channel 7 and 11 will be in the 2.4ghz spectrum range, if you are in the USA. However you can only allocate one channel per spectrum at the time. In addition, you can purchase also a compatible wireless adapter that works well with InSSider directly from http://www.metageek.net/.

Intel 1000 is a 2.4ghz band only device. That explains why you are not seeing 5ghz band. :)

Maybe I am wrong about the model of WLAN card, then, because I have seen 5ghz several times with that same setup. I thought that in order for a piece of hardware to be WiFi certified it had to meet all of the WiFi Alliance's specs and standards (as in 5ghz compatible)? Or is that just for encryption standards?

Channel 7 and 11 will be in the 2.4ghz spectrum range, if you are in the USA. However you can only allocate one channel per spectrum at the time. In addition, you can purchase also a compatible wireless adapter that works well with InSSider directly from http://www.metageek.net/.

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that wireless routers can not use more than one channel in the 2.4ghz frequency range at a time? As I understand it, "channel" is just another word for frequency range. Maybe the router has multiple radios, with one using a certain channel, and the other using another channel, all at the same time?

As for my client side radio, maybe it is somehow incompatible with this particular combination of router/router OS and version of inSSIDer?

The 2.4/5ghz band is not a component of WiFi Alliance specs in and of itself. There is no requirement that devices operate on both frequency ranges.

Oh yeah, Infiltrator, you can have 11+7 as a 40mhz 2.4ghz channel setting for channel bonding, thus showing 2 channels of 2.4ghz.

The 2.4/5ghz band is not a component of WiFi Alliance specs in and of itself. There is no requirement that devices operate on both frequency ranges.

Oh yeah, Infiltrator, you can have 11+7 as a 40mhz 2.4ghz channel setting for channel bonding, thus showing 2 channels of 2.4ghz.

Correct, but some wireless routers won't do channel bonding. A firmware upgrade might be the only viable option.

Edited by Infiltrator

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that wireless routers can not use more than one channel in the 2.4ghz frequency range at a time? As I understand it, "channel" is just another word for frequency range. Maybe the router has multiple radios, with one using a certain channel, and the other using another channel, all at the same time?

As for my client side radio, maybe it is somehow incompatible with this particular combination of router/router OS and version of inSSIDer?

Sorry for the confusion, you can have 2 channels operating on the same spectrum 2.4ghz or 5ghz. You might need to upgrade the firmware or hardware if it doesn't support it.