Vm Router

Jamo

Finally Iv realized that it ain't a good idea to let virtual machines to play in home lan. So I'v decided to set up a virtual lan. VMware workstation can do it easily, but I would like to set up VM that acts like a router.

Darren has talked about those. He set up a smooth wall or untangle box to work as his router.

What such products have you used, any recommendations what product to use. Iv installed untangle, but I don't like it that much.

I've used Smoothwall before and never experienced any major issues with it. On the other hand, I'm yet to try PFsense and have to say that the features and functionality are very appealing to me, they are a lot more advanced than SW, besides I do find Smoothwall too basic in some respects.

Furthermore, what is it that you don't like about Untangle if you don't mind me asking? Thank you.

Edited by Infiltrator

Regardless which route you take - no pun intended - I highly recommend you start reading up and learning about iptable's more advanced settings and configurations. You would be amazed how many different things you can do with iptables and most of these *nix router type distros definitely take advantage of it to some extent.

EDIT: @Infiltrator

I always found Untangle to be a massive resource hog. It ties up a lot of resources in it's full fledged GUI that other distros don't.

Edited by mux

Furthermore, what is it that you don't like about Untangle if you don't mind me asking? Thank you.

I didn't like the main view, that apps are in front and it doesn't look like a reliable firewall/router distro. And overall user interface. And it eats a lot of resources.

Although it was really easy to set up.