Wpa2 Networks In Cafes / Restaurants?

billyblaxsta

Quite often when I am in a cafe or restaurant and I look the the available wireless networks on my BlackBerry there will be something like: NAME_OF_CAFE which will be a WPA(2) Personal.

Since I doubt this is for the cafe staff to have fun with am I correct to assume that it will be the Point Of Sale credit-card system?

Thanks.

I'd say so, usually internet cafes would have their own portal. But not sure if it would be a "Point Of Sale credit-card system" or one where you have to pay first and then they would supply you with a userID and password.

Edited by Infiltrator

I'd say so, usually internet cafes would have their own portal. But not sure if it would be a "Point Of Sale credit-card system" or one where you have to pay first and then they would supply you with a userID and password.

I need to be more clear. I didn't mean an internet cafe just a regular cafe or resturant where you can pay with a credit or debit card via a terminal.

I'm just wondering what else a WPA2 could be for if not the point of sale terminal.

More than likely, if they have an ordering system where waiters just put in orders electronically and also print checks for the person they waited on. It also probably works as a payment station, but unless you work at such a place, its all speculation as to what is on this network without knowing what end device is tied to the SSID. Resteraunt like Fridays, Applebees, Outback, etc, all have stations now, where the waiter or waitress can access a terminal to submit drinks, dinner orders or print checks, etc. I've seen some with card swipers too, but generally for employees to swipe to give them access to the terminal and tie the waiter/waitress to the table the order is with via a card they keep on a keychain/belt loop.

Edited by digip