New Pc

The Sorrow

Here's the specs for my new PC build. Its gonna be a bit but i got time and patience. Plus I plan on upgrading my current PC then buying the MB/CPU then case etc etc etc.

Case

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout with 700W Power Supply

Motherboard

ASUS P6T WS PRO

CPU

Intel Core i7-960

GPU

GeForce GTX 570 x2 (SLI)

RAM Kit

Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)

Hard Drive

Western Digital RE4 WD2003FYYS 2TB

Other hard drive i have is a 1TB Western Digital.

If its not listed I already have it. (ie. DVD drive) This PC is going to be my main workstation/gaming station. I do a lot of VMWare stuff (hence the huge amount of RAM and the upgradability of the MB). Only things I am digging for opinions on are the CPU choice and the GPU choice. All comments, questions, and reasonable harassment is invited.

Just a heads up, I've been looking at the GPU power consumption figures for the GTX 570 graphics card and since you will be running SLI, that 700 watts PSU may not have enough power to handle them. So its just something to keep an eye for, if it doesn't boot up or shutdown unexpectedly.

Apart from that, nice set up you've got there.

Hey,

consider the newer i7 2600k maybe? much more overclock-ability there but then your motherboard would need to change, so up to you, but they are also much more efficient.

As much as the two 570's will outperform one 580, one 580 will not hold you back at all, it is the roughly same price as two 570's, probably less, and will allow you to upgrade to a beast 580 sli later on when it's needed, or can be afforded. So consider adaptability.

can't complain about the ram, and also, if you can spare the money, maybe consider a small SSD for OS, and applications, and the 1TB or 2TB for data. The SSD will show unreal performance, and considering you have a SATA3 6gb/s mobo, consider taking advantage of that.

Although that is always an upgrade path later on when it is more affordable for you. But boot time and such will improve drastically.

So yeh, remember to check compatibility and looking good.

Hey,

consider the newer i7 2600k maybe? much more overclock-ability there but then your motherboard would need to change, so up to you, but they are also much more efficient.

Agree, checked the CPU Support list for his board, I'm afraid but this CPU i7 2600k is not supported, also the CPU does not support the chipset of his MB either.

CPU:

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52214

MB:

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6T_WS_Professional/#specifications

Either way, these board are certainly very good, especially if overclocking them.

ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO

Here is a nice review link

http://www.squidoo.com/bestz68motherboard

scratch that, your mobo is SATA2, and your ram is made specifically for P67 mobo's, but you have an x58. a compatible p67 mobo will allow 2600k and much more, such as sata3 and usb3.0 for a similar price, the motherboard looks okay, but in the long run...

Making sure you select the right motherboard is vital, not only will it allow you to make future upgrades but will also save you lots of headaches on the longer run. When I built my first computer, a researched a lot before buying a board and now I am quite happy with it. I have been using for last 3 or so years never had any problems and it always allowed me to carry out upgrades.

see thing is. i dont mind the looks of that board. it looks good to me. i just dont wanna have to buy 4x8GB kits...

How come?

Personal preference... I really have no logical reason

This would be a nice MB for you, its even compatible with your current CPU

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maximus_IV_ExtremeZ/#specifications

It has support for USB3 and SATA 3.0.

Supports SLI and Crossfire

And support a total of 32GB of RAM.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I refined the list. Just throwin it up there.

Case

COOLER MASTER HAF X

Mother Board

ASUS Rampage III Formula

Graphics Card (x2)

GeForce GTX 570

i7 CPU

Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz

RAM

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB)

Hard Drive

Western Digital RE4 WD2003FYYS 2TB

Optical Drives (Cause i only have ROMs -.-)

Blu-Ray Player

DVD/CD/Litescribe RW Drive