New Computer Advice

Jakery94

Hey Guys,

Building a new computer very very soon, which is all exciting, and i would love some advice from you guys, the parts list is as follows:

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD $289.00

LG CH10LS20 10X Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive $85.00

ASUS Sabertooth P67 Motherboard B3 $239.00

Western Digital Green 1TB WD10EARX $59.00

HDMI v1.4 Male to Male Cable 5m with HEAC $19.00

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM $105.00

CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced $179.00

CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Plus 700W $89.00

Thermaltake SpinQ VT CPU Cooler $62.00

ASUS GeForce GTX 580 DirectCU II $549.00

G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3 $89.00

BenQ XL2410T 23.6 Inch Widescreen LED Monitor 120Hz $445.00

Intel Core i5 2500K $225

Total = $2434.00

So that is basically max of the budget, and all prices are Australian, from an Australian website pccasegear.com

Any changes? recommendations? Advice?

Thanks Guys

cheers.

All that money and no i7? Tisk tisk

I'd also check the motherboard's Qualified Vendors List (QVL) for ram. Some Motherboards don't like OCZ ram.

Dont buy by "this brand is 1337", buy what is compatible and known works.

That big heatsink will probably snap your motherboard as well... just FYI...

Don't get a "Green" TB HDD, go for the black, more performance.

Can probably skip the bluray drive unless you don't own a PS3 or have a ton of bluray movies on disc. I rarely use CDs/DVDs anymore (Mostly just to burn linux ISOs)

My opinion: don't really need a SSD, only reason I'd want a SSD is for a laptop, and the 2 laptops I have do not have them. I think it's a waste of money currently.

Try Newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.660866

Edited by Mr-Protocol

thanks for the reply, reason for the i5 was that the difference between the 2500k and the 2600k is minimal, 2mb cache, hyperthreading, and .2 ghz is not enough reason for $100+, and i can still overclock the cpu to well over 4, into 5 the ghz.

I shall check the ram compatibility, although I think it should be fine as it included support for 1155 cpu's, but I will double check that.

i'll look into the HDD, if I can remove some costs somewhere else, i will upgrade it, but with the SSD that I am still interested in, speed shouldn't be a concern, unless copying large files to and from it, which i'm not too worried about.

and do you really reckon that the heatsink is too big? the motherboard i chose looks pretty damn sturdy to me.

and the reason why i went for a combo drive was that the price difference between that and a dvd only drive is pretty small, so might as well.

But thanks for the advice, cheers.

I decided to go with a DVD/CD drive, sometimes you get to sucked in when going through parts :P

I have a ps3 and I don't even use DVD/CD's for linux distros anymore, let alone BD's so thanks for that.

I'll also have a look at other heat-sinks, if you have any you would recommend that would be great, but I'll look into it

and I don't think that I will be using any applications (apart from possibly virtualisation?) that will utilize 8 threads, and the i5 is more bang for buck, but if i can spare the money, i will get the i7.

I usually just use the heatsink that comes with the CPU. That's just me though.

Honestly ram heatsinks aren't needed if you have proper air flow in the case.

That case does support liquid cooling kits pretty well, although you could save probably a little money by not getting such a exotic case.

A couple of observations.

1) That PSU may seem enough for now, but if you plan on running SLI or Crossfire I would upgrade it to a 1000 watts PSU, just to stay on the safe side.

2) I don't know what your storage needs are, but I do find 1TB HDD very small in capacity, that's something to keep in mind if you are often downloading music and videos.

3) Go with Windows 7 x64 Professional, there are certain things you can't do with Home premium that you can do with Pro, check this link out for details

4) Since you are going with Windows x64 bit, why limiting yourself to 4gigs, top it all off, go with 6gigs or 8gigs. Before you do that, you will need to check how much ram your board support.

Only get Pro if you need those few added features, I get Windows Pro for free through MSDN so I biasly ignored the Windows version unintentionally.

I run a 420 W power supply with:

1 TB WesternDigital BLACK

160 GB WesternDigital (Main OS)

750 GB WesternDigital (VM Drive/Downloads drive)

NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX

Samsung DVD Burner

No power issues here except the Power supply doesn't have another power rail for another 8800 GTX I could install.

Edited by Mr-Protocol

arghh, the PSU's are really expensive though :( but i see where you are coming from, i will look into it.

personally, i don't see the need for anything other than home premium, i have both pro and home currently, and can't tell the difference.

also i have an external HDD for movies and music and suck, so 1TB will be enough, if not, exapansion is super easy later on

and i do have 8GB, the max is 24GB

Black HDDs are good for performance they are fast, they have larger cache but consume more electricity than the green HDDs. Plus the Greens are more environment friendly, they generate less heat and are more economic on the longer run.

Edited by Infiltrator