Hack Challenges

Suren white hat

Has anyone signed up with mod-x.co.uk before, I'm still up to Level one of the game and they hit me up with this.

Let me explain - you are amateurs! A 5 year old could of broken into your systems - and why? because you don't know the first thing about security!

You think this is the end? Think again - instead of crippling your pathetic systems...we have decided to play a game with you. You have no choice in the matter...either you play, and make a futile attempt at regaining your system...or you give up, and admit we own U. Either way - we have won.

By now you should have realised that you no longer have access to your terminals. Well, here is your chance to regain access. This is easy - don't kid yourself...we want you to regain access - then the game can continue.

There is also a link, when i click on it it prompts me for a password.

Has anyone signed up with mod-x.co.uk before, I'm still up to Level one of the game and they hit me up with this.

There is also a link, when i click on it it prompts me for a password.

Just tried it. Second step took some thinking, so grabbed wireshark and looked at the source for the other page. Its a javascript piece. string might be different per person, so wont paste here, but have a look at it. Once completed I got the second level message

Hey xxfoobarxx, Congratulations! Don't forget to check your Mod-X ranking and access the level 2 forum to chat to other agents. Good luck with the next challenge. If you have any problems/comments mail me.

edit: am now at level 3. 2 was tricky but figured it out. Don't know that I will go any further, because I don't have java installed. WIll have to do in a VM. /me no trust Java, period!

Edited by digip

Just tried it. Second step took some thinking, so grabbed wireshark and looked at the source for the other page. Its a javascript piece. string might be different per person, so wont paste here, but have a look at it. Once completed I got the second level message

edit: am now at level 3. 2 was tricky but figured it out. Don't know that I will go any further, because I don't have java installed. WIll have to do in a VM. /me no trust Java, period!

Funny thing is I used the built in debugger in Chrome to read the Javascript source code, I did find a long string with letters and numbers and I tried using as the password it didn't work.

Do you think Wireshark would work in this case?

Funny thing is I used the built in debugger in Chrome to read the Javascript source code, I did find a long string with letters and numbers and I tried using as the password it didn't work.

Do you think Wireshark would work in this case?

You have to look at that code carefully. Its a javascript piece prompting you for the password. If you rewrite it as a function, you can make it spit out the proper key, then enter it as the password. I copied the source code, then saved it as a local html file until I got the script working, then it gave me the required code to enter on the real website.

You have to look at that code carefully. Its a javascript piece prompting you for the password. If you rewrite it as a function, you can make it spit out the proper key, then enter it as the password. I copied the source code, then saved it as a local html file until I got the script working, then it gave me the required code to enter on the real website.

Will give it another try, I am not giving it up. Thanks Digip much appreciated.

Edited by Infiltrator