Nmap Scanning

Hidden Ninja

Hello Hak5 community,

I am putting together a group of members interested in performing large-scale port scans using Nmap on IP ranges that we assign.

Benefits:

- We can offer financially for large scans (contact me for details)

- Helps map out the internet

- Find potential machines

What you can do to help

Contact me through a private message or post in this thread for updates

Send us scans of IP ranges you have completed

We are contacting GNY about combining the project to see if we can receive more support.

Also it would be nice to hear from the community about what their opinions are on this project and if it is worth the time and effort.

Thank you,

Hidden Ninja

Check out our first few scans posted at:

http://hiddenninja.info/scans.php

We look forward to hearing your ideas.

And the reason for doing subnet scans for you? I see no legit purpose other than for you to have targets to attack and try rooting. Thats not what we are about here in this community. bait.png

Edited by digip

I hope you won't request us to start hacking these machines, once the scanning has finished.

I hope you won't request us to start hacking these machines, once the scanning has finished.

That will not be necessary.Thanks for the thoughtful comment, but personally I will not be exploiting, hacking, brute-forcing any of the systems found in the scans. It is merely a database project, but I can't promise you that no one else would take advantage of the of the reports.

In some parts of the world, port scanning alone is considered illegal, but I could care less what people do on their own. Its just not something we do as a community, to go around scanning peoples networks for others. Especially when it gets traced to those doing the scans, when someone else could end up rooting them and involving other people in something they should have no part of in the first place. If Go Null Yourself wants help to do scanning to "map the internet" as they put it, take it to their forums, but not really something I think people here would want to get involved in.

In some parts of the world, port scanning alone is considered illegal, but I could care less what people do on their own. Its just not something we do as a community, to go around scanning peoples networks for others. Especially when it gets traced to those doing the scans, when someone else could end up rooting them and involving other people in something they should have no part of in the first place. If Go Null Yourself wants help to do scanning to "map the internet" as they put it, take it to their forums, but not really something I think people here would want to get involved in.

I didn't know that you represented this forum, but I understand the points you are making and we are trying to be affiliated with GNY. The people on their forums are already involved with the scanning and I am looking for people interested in the project.

I didn't know that you represented this forum, but I understand the points you are making and we are trying to be affiliated with GNY. The people on their forums are already involved with the scanning and I am looking for people interested in the project.

I'm not a MOD on the forums and don't speak for anyone, but I've just been here long enough to know that we all like to discuss hacking and learn about stuff, but we tend to be more open to learning and demonstration on our own networks vs going after internet addresses at large. It can be looked upon as a precursor to an attack by the targeted machines and networks, so people doing it would be at their own risk. I think that kind of goes without saying.

Scanning internet addresses with nmap is something a lot of people here probably do on a daily basis but don't openly go around telling others "Hey, I just found 100 Windows 2000 machines with open SMB ports!" Just not a smart thing to do.

Not to mention that your site's IP has been host to many different domains over the years, most of which are hacking sites that used to run Zeus botnets and serve phishing attacks. Not saying your domain specifically, because I don't know your affiliation with the other domains hosted on the same server/ip address, many of which have either been shutdown or no longer exist. When I see people asking others to scan networks for them, I just start seeing red flags. Its kind of built in to me at this point.

This is just a suggestion but rather than running a nmap scan on hosts that you don't know, and running the risk of getting yourself into trouble. You could at least approach people you know and ask for their permission, explaining them what the Nmap scanning will be doing and what your intentions with the results will be after the nmapping scan is finished.

This will not only save yourself some trouble but you will be operating in a legal manner since you will have their authorization, and if you do get caught you will be able to provide evidence which could help your case.