Hosting On Optus

KiLL3R DRiLL3R

Not sure about Optus, but Telstra and Internode allow its users to run their own virtual servers.

Edit: This should answer your question, http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1150507

Edited by Infiltrator

I remember looking through the terms of service and acceptable usage policies a couple of years ago and I couldn't find anything.

That said, Optus horribly restrict upload speeds (and uploads seem to take priority over downloads, one upload can bring my home connection to a screeching halt) so I don't think it'll be effective as a server.

I remember looking through the terms of service and acceptable usage policies a couple of years ago and I couldn't find anything.

That said, Optus horribly restrict upload speeds (and uploads seem to take priority over downloads, one upload can bring my home connection to a screeching halt) so I don't think it'll be effective as a server.

Even with my Internode account I can only achieve 85KBps, I'm soon gonna be buying a wireless gateway from Telstra, where I can achieve 3Mbps or 300KBps. That should be enough for what I do.

Even with my Internode account I can only achieve 85KBps, I'm soon gonna be buying a wireless gateway from Telstra, where I can achieve 3Mbps or 300KBps. That should be enough for what I do.

That's pretty good going. I'm on Optus Cable and I only get 512Kbit up (64KBps) :(

That's pretty good going. I'm on Optus Cable and I only get 512Kbit up (64KBps) :(

I could go with Asymmetric ADSL, where I could get 10MBps up/down. But its intended for business and even if i did subscribed for it, I could be up for a several hundred dollars. Not cheap!

In addition, you also need a router/modem that supports Asymmetric ADSL, which would also cost a couple of hundred dollars.

I could go with Asymmetric ADSL, where I could get 10MBps up/down. But its intended for business and even if i did subscribed for it, I could be up for a several hundred dollars. Not cheap!

In addition, you also need a router/modem that supports Asymmetric ADSL, which would also cost a couple of hundred dollars.

sorry for the little detail but ADSL stands for Asymmetric dsl, and in you're case 10 up and down isn't really asymmetric.

Because adsl is full-duplex,the name comes from that originally the channels ( frequencies) reserved for download is a higher proportion then the upload part.

sorry for the little detail but ADSL stands for Asymmetric dsl, and in you're case 10 up and down isn't really asymmetric.

Because adsl is full-duplex,the name comes from that originally the channels ( frequencies) reserved for download is a higher proportion then the upload part.

Sorry I meant symmetric DSL!