Pineapple Power Supply

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct area to be posting but anyway...

I recieved my Pineapple today, I want to start playing around with it but I don't have a US to AUS adapter or batteries laying around. I don't know much when i comes to voltage, AC/DC etc. I'm wondering if i can use an AC adapter with:

Input : 100-240v - 50/60Hz 0.6A

Output : 12v===1.5 A

The US supplied adapter is:

Input : 100-240v - 50/60Hz 0.5A

Output : 0.5v===2.0 A

I'm just wondering what kind of input/output i would need to supply enough power and to not cause any issues including overloading.

Thanks!

FAQ Reference:

Q:

What kind of power supply and antenna does the Wifi Pineapple Version2 use?

A:

The router comes with a 2dbi antenna and a 110/240V Power Supply (US plug).

Q:

Specs of the power supply?

A:

5v Power Supply (US model, 110v)

Q:

How many volts is the pineapple?

A:

It needs at least 5-6 volts to work, which is why we send you a AA Battery charger in the pack.

It believe the Fon is 5V 0.5A. The Fon+ I have is 7.5V and I think 0.5A (don't remember), but it runs happily off a 6V AU transformer I got - I could not for the life of me find a 7.5V transformer anywhere.

12V would probably fry it completely, but there's probably a small tolerance level (4-6 for example, I don't know).

Assuming you use 240v in Australia then just using a plug shape converter will result in the same as I had, a blown transformer, you'll need one that drops the input voltage as well

Assuming you use 240v in Australia then just using a plug shape converter will result in the same as I had, a blown transformer, you'll need one that drops the input voltage as well

Thanks for the heads up, don't suppose you'd be able to link me to an ebay/amazon/IT site item that does this? I've never heard of such a thing before.

Cheers.

I don't understand why the Volts has to be regulated, I thought generally and in this case the plug supports between 100 and 240V.

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/M9926/regulated-international-voltage-power-adaptor

This was the only thing i could find similar within Australia, the Amps on the output doesn't match though 1000ma = 1Amp.

Confused...I thought the plug type converter would just work.

Check the transformer, if it says 240-110 then you are OK but the Fon+ was 110v only, I pushed 240v into it and it went bang.

From what you say in your first post it should work just converting the prongs but adding this warning just in case.

I need to find a decent rechargable batterypack for it, using rechargable AA's is ok, but the 1-2 hour limitation is frustrating lol

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/i-Sound-Portable-iPhone-Blackberry-Silver/dp/B00439G3WS

16,000 mAh

Charges any device with a maximum current requirement of 2.4 Amps

It's a bit costly but being able to get 8x the usage time of my pineapple might be worth it...

Edited by UnDeFiNeD

A battery pack like that could work, but it looks like you'd need a custom USB -> Fon+ cable.

The Fon+ one I got was also 110, and the only 240->110 adapter I could find was big, bulky, and over AU$60. Something like this.

I ended up with something like this plugpack (except the one I had had a switch for different voltages) and got the Fon+ adapter's connecter soldered onto the plugpack.

Edited by Netshroud

A battery pack like that could work, but it looks like you'd need a custom USB -> Fon+ cable.

Well, I bought a pineapple from the hackshop to support the show, so I have that battery pack with the correct size adapter, a quick snip of that and an extra usb cable and I have my custom usb -> fon cable ;)

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested: http://www.amazon.com/i-Sound-Portable-iPhone-Blackberry-Silver/dp/B00439G3WS

I bought that, resoldered the plug connector from the battery pack to a USB cable and tested... it has lasted 12 hours on a full charge with 2 bars out of 4 left on the battery, I say that is a success! I hadn't been using it much due to limited battery life of 4 AA batteries, but now I have no reason not to use it :) (Plus I now have a decent backup usb power battery which is great since my droidx + hulu = 3 hour battery life :P )

Edited by UnDeFiNeD