Sis Mirage 3 Graphics Driver For Backtrack Linux

SystemCrash86

I have an e.system 4213 laptop with windows vista. I installed backtrack 5 via dual boot and when i log off or shutdown backtrack all i get is a blank screen or a different coloured screen (sometimes its blue) with white lines all over the place and nothing else.

I looked online and i believe it turns out that i was missing a sis mirage 3 graphics driver like the type i use in my windows section. I have downloaded the drivers but i am stuck as how to install the drivers in linux.

The first part of the process to install the drivers is to stop X so i enter some commands to stop X and all i get back is that it can't be done.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also in backtrack 5 my firefox is way too big for my screen making it almost impossible to use tools like nessus as some buttons don't even show up even when using "ctrl+ and ctrl -" - suggestions on how to fix this would very much be appreciated.

Does this happen when tying to shutdown from in the gui via a terminal, or do you logout, then do it from the main console? Best bet is to search the BT5 forums and the BugTracker, see if its been reported by anyone else. Make sure you do a full update next time you are logged on, as many of the early bugs the first few weeks of BT5 have been fixed already, so this issue might go away with an "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade"

it starts when ever i try and shutdown or even restart. i try to install the driver that i believe would help but inorder to install it i need to stop X but it wont let let for some reason.

I update and dist-upgrade regular but its always when i shutdown or reboot. The login screen is perfect - its just the leaving screen when i try to logoff or reboot. I did search the forums and the internet for a solution which is how i downloaded the driver i needed and all of them say i need to stop x inorder to install it but i use the commands given on the website to stop x wont work

it starts when ever i try and shutdown or even restart. i try to install the driver that i believe would help but inorder to install it i need to stop X but it wont let let for some reason.

I update and dist-upgrade regular but its always when i shutdown or reboot. The login screen is perfect - its just the leaving screen when i try to logoff or reboot. I did search the forums and the internet for a solution which is how i downloaded the driver i needed and all of them say i need to stop x inorder to install it but i use the commands given on the website to stop x wont work

Do you have your install set to boot directly into the GUI, or does it boot to a shell first and then you STARTX? You should be able to boot into the shell and then install whatever you need, before the GUI starts. I would say edit "/etc/inittab", but I don't think BT5 uses this method by default. At least, not on my 64bit KDE install, it doesn't have an /etc/inittab.

You should report the problem, give all the hardware details on your device that you can, gpu, brand of mobo for laptop, etc, and maybe they can find a solution or put out an update.

- http://redmine.backtrack-linux.org:8080/projects/backtrack

The other option, is to kill X from within the GUI via a kill command in the terminal, but that isn't the best way to handle this and could still end up leaving it in an altered state or corrupt data. I would imagine a "shutdown -h now" might make X crash, but eventually it should shutdown the computer if you wait long enough, even with funky lines across the screen after it tries to shutdown. You can try a force with "shutdown -f now" as well.