Vmware Hacking

exeption

Dear all, it has been a while since I have visited the forums, this due to my buzzy schedule while studying...

Anyway...

I have set up an virtual box with Windows XP PRO that I intend to use as an test box for pentesting.

So after that was up an running, i started to try out Armitage!

But after an nmap host scan I did not see the virtual box in the following list shown in Armitage..

I also tride to do an nmap -sP 192.168.1.1/24 scan without any host showing up..

Is the case that virtual boxes will not show during any type of host scans?

As far as I can see the only one showing is the computer that is running the virtual box. (vmware 7)?

Last but at least, one final question for those that know armitage...

If you do an pentest scan attack based on ports or vulnerabilities and no computer on the network is

open for attacks, does this mean that every exploits in msf does not work and the network is safe?

This is also included the holy mary scan.

regards

exception

If networking is working fine in the XP VM (ie, can ping or reach google, other websites), while in the XP VM, open a command prompt and type ipconfig and see what its IP address is. If its not on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, backtrack wont see it. The VM Nic adapters on the host machine also needs to be started, not just in the VM, but on the host as well so other machines on the network can see the VMs.

To me it sounds like you have a network configuration issue, fire up the CMD and type Ipconfig, that should return an IP address in one of the following ranges, 192.168.x.x or 10.0.0.x. If you are not obtaining an ip address in this range, you will need to power down your VM, and make sure the network settings are set to Bridged mode.

Once its been set to bridged mode, head back to CMD and try pinging an internal host or google.com for instance. If you receive a reply back, then you should be fine.

Seems like I had not done the network bridging, once that was done it all work just fine.

The funny part tho is that the Windows XP PRO SP3 vmware machine was not open for exploit at all

I have tried every attack option in Armitage and MSF with no luck at all.

So my conclution is one of two things.

1. Either I am one terrible newbie hacker or

2. My system is too secure..

I can relay to both i must admit..

Thanks for both reply to this thread

Seems like I had not done the network bridging, once that was done it all work just fine.

The funny part tho is that the Windows XP PRO SP3 vmware machine was not open for exploit at all

I have tried every attack option in Armitage and MSF with no luck at all.

So my conclution is one of two things.

1. Either I am one terrible newbie hacker or

2. My system is too secure..

I can relay to both i must admit..

Thanks for both reply to this thread

No need to apology, at some point in our lives we must go through some obstacles.

That's why we never stop learning.

Its also important to note that, not all systems are going to be easily exploitable.

There are ways to make your system vulnerable.

Read this article, it should help you understand how to use Metasploit better, besides there are tons of videos to watch in Youtube.com and Irongeek.com

http://www.offensive-security.com/metasploit-unleashed/Introduction