Ubuntu, Mint, Terminal, Firefox Bookmarks

RogueHart

I recently had fatal issues with my vista installation. I could not fix the problem with anything i could think of nor the aid of google so i just backed up all my files (thanks to an external drive and my ubuntu studio installation) and reformatted my entire harddrive and repartitioned it.

I made 4 partitions.

2 ext3. 15gig each

1 swap. 2gig

1 ext2. remainder of the 150gig

the first ext3 i used for ubuntu. i want to use the second for mint.

the ext2 is a large neutral storage area for the 2 operating systems.

and the swap is for the extra memory. i have a bad habit of keeping multiple programs open weather im making use of them or not and from what ive read it will help.

the first problem is that i cant get mint to install. i cant boot into the installation disc. i open the boot menu when i reboot and choose the cd but after a few seconds of reading it just loads ubuntu. doesnt even start grub (which it seems i need to manually install it too). my guess is the disc is corrupt in one way or another. im downloading another copy and reburning as i type so just ignore this one for now. burned a new disc. cd version this time. worked perfectly and installed just fine. fixed grub too.

the second problem is the error with my windows partition caused the computer to crash meaning that i couldnt get back in to do things like exporting playlists and bookmarks. i dont mind loosing playlists as i rebuild them regularly anyway and do that mostly from my phone. but i had a lot of bookmarks saved and those i cant lose. i backed up the "program files" firefox folder as well as the appdata folder for my user. i just need to know what file contains the bookmarks and how to get to them imported into my firefox in ubuntu and mint.

and the 3rd is just a question. i never got around to learning anything indepth when it came to bash and terminal. i just learned how to do basic things (copy paste, su, sudo, apt-get, etc, etc, etc) but as im going to be using linux exclusively for a few months (until i can get a new laptop) id like to know more about it. does anyone knwo of a good source of information and tutorials on using the linux terminal and writing bash scripts? answered

ty in advance for any help

Edited by RogueHart

@RogueHart,

This Ubuntu command line tutorial should get you started.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommandlineHowto

@RogueHart,

This Ubuntu command line tutorial should get you started.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommandlineHowto

ty lol. i thought that would be a good place but i knew if there was a better one someone here would know it.

topic post updated

Edited by RogueHart

Search for files that ends with the extension .json

This is the format Firefox uses so save them.

bookmarks-2011-03-23.json