Backtrack 4 R2 On Latest Virtualbox Help

Monkeymayhembythesea

Hi all,

I am in need of some assistance with backtrack 4 r2 on virtualbox. I'm trying to learn some things on bt4, but I can't seem to configure it correctly. The net is working when I go on FF through bt4, but I can't use the connection to perform bt4 task . Please help a n00b, so he can move on in the learning process and pass on the knowledge. Thanks, to those willing to help me.

Mmbts

I start in terminal with airmon-ng, but I get no info from the provided field. No chipet, wlan0, etc. I've tried to google the issue and fix the problem myself, but I'm getting no place fast. I'm not asking to be spoon fed here I just need a starting point.

Hi all,

I am in need of some assistance with backtrack 4 r2 on virtualbox. I'm trying to learn some things on bt4, but I can't seem to configure it correctly. The net is working when I go on FF through bt4, but I can't use the connection to perform bt4 task . Please help a n00b, so he can move on in the learning process and pass on the knowledge. Thanks, to those willing to help me.

Mmbts

Virtual machines generally only see eth0, and wont see built in wireless if its a laptop unless 1, its running as a bootable live disc (no vm), 2, native installs, or 3, the wireless card is a USB adapter connected through a VM, live boot, or install.

If running "ifconfig -a" you see no wlan0 or identifications other than eth0 and lo, then it can't see the wireless card and you will probably need a USB adapter and tell the VM to automatically connect it upon being plugged in.

For just learning and testing, and to see if it can even find your wireless card, burn the ISO and boot off it as a live disc, then start from there.

Edited by digip

Virtual machines generally only see eth0, and wont see built in wireless if its a laptop unless 1, its running as a bootable live disc (no vm), 2, native installs, or 3, the wireless card is a USB adapter connected through a VM, live boot, or install.

If running "ifconfig -a" you see no wlan0 or identifications other than eth0 and lo, then it can't see the wireless card and you will probably have a USB adapter and tell the VM to automatically connect it upon being plugged in.

For just learning and testing, and to see if it can even find your wireless card, burn the ISO and boot off it as a live disc, then start from there.

good point, i didnt really read the post that it was vbox. So many posts about BT4 internet... if they read the BT forums they would have answers.

If its in a VM, you need to use a USB Wifi adapter. If its a Live DISC you boot from, it should see the internal wireless on the eee pc, unless the specific card is not supported, by which, you would still use a USB Wifi adapter. Virtual machines generally only see the eth0 adapter(wired nic).