Video Editing Software

Infiltrator

Hi All,

I am going to buy a Kodak HP Pocket Camera for shooting some HD video and was wondering, what type of video editing software do you guys use for producing HI Def contents?

Thank you in advance.

I use windows movie maker, and camtasia studio 7. Camtasia is nice for creating high def web video in mp4. Then there are high end things, like Premiere, but I suck at it, even though I have it installed I really don't know how to use the damn thing. I prefer the simplicity of movie maker and camtasia. Then there is virtual dub, which is kind of like the swiss army knife of avi editing tools, which is something any person should have in their arsenal if you want to splice things up or add effects on the cheap (as in free software). Virtual Dub really shines when coupled with ffmpeg and AviSynth, you can open nearly any direct show enabled video except wmv's and asf files. Even DVD video can be edited via avisynth and virtual dub but you need to add an mpeg-2 active-x dll file to get that functionality. Not something I've done in windows 7, but had it on my old XP machine so I could edit stuff from my Panasonic DVD Camcorder. There might be a simpler way to do it these days, although, you can just use Handbrake to rip them, and then edit in your editor of choice in an easier format once converted from DVD.

Thanks Digip for the response, will give your suggestions a try. Plus have you used any of the Cyberlink or Pinnacle editing software at all?

Thanks Digip for the response, will give your suggestions a try. Plus have you used any of the Cyberlink or Pinnacle editing software at all?

I had some Pinnacle stuff like ages ago that came with an old camera, but don't remember good things from it. It was probably well before they came out with their dvd editing stuff, so was many moons ago and probably way outdated in terms of functionality of todays software. From what I recall it was only a simple avi transfer utility and allowed you to add titles and splice clips together, but didnt save any multiple formats or do transitions, effects, etc. It might have even been back in my Windows 98 days, so was a long time ago. Apparently their Avid Studio is a nice alternative to the expensive Adobe Premiere, but I've not used it personally so can't back that up. I would go to youtube, and look up tutorials on Avid, and get an idea of the interface and what it can do. There are tons for Premiere and After Effects, so should be able to find something for Avid or their Studio HD software.