Laptop Lcd Pinout

Dragon.Knight

I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong places or if I'm using the wrong search terms but I cannot seem to find the pinouts for the LCD from a Powerbook Pro 15in. I was hoping to reuse this screen without the busted laptop but I am a little uneasy about testing each wire individually applying power and signal until i find the right combination. If anyone can help me at least get started I would greatly appreciate it.

Is the screen already removed from the motherboard? You would probably have to look up specs on the board it connects to and see what each of the connections on the pcb are. Might even be labeled on the mobo itself, try tracing where it connects to the mobo and see what it says on the pcb itself. The other option is to see if the FCC site has anything regarding it.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Find-schematics-wiring-diagrams-etc-for-everyda/

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

All but two wires are the same color (an orange color) and the other two are a blue. I have the LCD completely remove from the old laptop but I didn't throw anything away so that i can salvage more later if I'm able. I left the connector on the end of the cable that goes to the laptop mobo cause of how thin the wires are.

All but two wires are the same color (an orange color) and the other two are a blue. I have the LCD completely remove from the old laptop but I didn't throw anything away so that i can salvage more later if I'm able. I left the connector on the end of the cable that goes to the laptop mobo cause of how thin the wires are.

The instructables link had another one for reverse engineering the schematic from the motherboard, whcih should give you the pinouts(I would hope). I know shit about electronics, but it might come in handy to read it over and then check the fcc site in case they have any info on the device and the screen, since they would all probably be subject to fcc rules and might have what you need. Look at the part number on the board and/or screen parts see if it can be found on the fcc site.

I did some more searching with different numbers on the boards and finally found some info. There's a little problem though. All the links I found said that my LCD (LP125W02-A1) has the same pinout as another one so I looked at the other one listed and it shows that its supposed to have a 21 pin connection but mine only has 20 pins. attached is a pic of it which you'll noticed I mentioned the wrong colors earlier (dk what i was thinkin lol). Any ideas what I should do next?post-23239-0-52057300-1297649573_thumb.j

Edited by Dragon.Knight

I think display port is 20 pins, which is possibly what this is compatible to. Look up the Vesa Display Port specs and see if you can find anything for it. This was an Apple, right? Because I'm pretty sure that apple uses this format in their laptops. Don't quote me on that, but if that is the case, then it might shed some light on the adapter and what to search for next.

See if you can search the part on here: http://www.datasheetdir.com/

This site gives 2 part numbers: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Pro-15-Display-LCD-Screen-p-16893.html

N154C1 or LP154WP2. Just realized its a MacBook pro, not Pwoerbook. Probably different specs since they are two different models.

Edited by digip

Digip it's cool I made an even bigger snafu then that lol. I just realized while doin a search for somethin else that i somehow set my google searches to default to news results. :( I have a pinout that shoud work. I'm going to try it out in the next couple days. Thanks for helpin though. Now I just have to figure out how to interface it with a DVI or VGA port. here's the pinout if it helps you any.

Pin 1 ML_Lane 0 (p) Lane 0 (positive)

Pin 2 GND Ground

Pin 3 ML_Lane 0 (n) Lane 0 (negative)

Pin 4 ML_Lane 1 (p) Lane 1 (positive)

Pin 5 GND Ground

Pin 6 ML_Lane 1 (n) Lane 1 (negative)

Pin 7 ML_Lane 2 (p) Lane 2 (positive)

Pin 8 GND Ground

Pin 9 ML_Lane 2 (n) Lane 2 (negative)

Pin 10 ML_Lane 3 (p) Lane 3 (positive)

Pin 11 GND Ground

Pin 12 ML_Lane 3 (n) Lane 3 (negative)

Pin 13 CONFIG1 connected to Ground1)

Pin 14 CONFIG2 connected to Ground1)

Pin 15 AUX CH (p) Auxiliary Channel (positive)

Pin 16 GND Ground

Pin 17 AUX CH (n) Auxiliary Channel (negative)

Pin 18 Hot Plug Hot Plug Detect

Pin 19 Return Return for Power

Pin 20 DP_PWR Power for connector (3.3 V 500 mA)

Edited by Dragon.Knight

As I was saying before, vga is 15 pin, DVI 24 pins and Vesa Display Port uses 20 pin. Might have to make it a display port connector, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

20 pins for external connectors on desktops, notebooks, graphics cards, monitors, etc. and 30/20 pins for internal connections between graphics engines and built-in flat panels.

300px-DisplayPort_Connector.svg.png

Pin 1 ML_Lane 0 (p) Lane 0 (positive)

Pin 2 GND Ground

Pin 3 ML_Lane 0 (n) Lane 0 (negative)

Pin 4 ML_Lane 1 (p) Lane 1 (positive)

Pin 5 GND Ground

Pin 6 ML_Lane 1 (n) Lane 1 (negative)

Pin 7 ML_Lane 2 (p) Lane 2 (positive)

Pin 8 GND Ground

Pin 9 ML_Lane 2 (n) Lane 2 (negative)

Pin 10 ML_Lane 3 (p) Lane 3 (positive)

Pin 11 GND Ground

Pin 12 ML_Lane 3 (n) Lane 3 (negative)

Pin 13 CONFIG1 connected to Ground1)

Pin 14 CONFIG2 connected to Ground1)

Pin 15 AUX CH (p) Auxiliary Channel (positive)

Pin 16 GND Ground

Pin 17 AUX CH (n) Auxiliary Channel (negative)

Pin 18 Hot Plug Hot Plug Detect

Pin 19 Return Return for Power

Pin 20 DP_PWR Power for connector (3.3 V 500 mA)

I got this from Wikipedia, and looks like its the same as what you posted above. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

Edited by digip