Wireless Router For Business

rlocone

Hello All,

I have a job to do. It's a local restaurant in town. I want to do a network assessment, take a snapshot of their entire network BEFORE I do anything to is. This assessment I want to be able to find a way to optimize their network. Maybe virtualize some servers that they really don't need a hardware footprint.

They are having a difficult time with wireless in their building. Yesterday I went in and saw their equipment for the 1st time. Noticed that they are running Comcast and AT&T DSL for their backup. They have 2 Linksys *CONSUMER* routers Daisey chained some kinda way. All of that goes into a switch and then to a patch panel in the wall. It's a mess!

I want to be able to document everything to have as a reference and show the owner.

Also, my approach would be change the wireless setup and look for offending devices (interference) But, my gut tells me that they are using the wrong APs. I was looking at something more powerful. Like this: http://www.dell.com/us/en/enterprise/switch-powerconnect-w/switch-powerconnect-w-650-651/pd.aspx?refid=switch-powerconnect-w-650-651&cs=555&s=biz

Also, one of these: http://www.endian.com/us/, to connect the Comcast & DSL to this then wireless router.

Also would like to have a repeater installed in the ceiling and work with POE. I've never really did a job like this and suggestions and opinions welcomed.

I know that all of this based on what the owner is willing to pony up. But with a detailed well thought out plan that he understands might make for a good case to get the hardware installed.

Thanks for your time & attention,

You on the right tracks with starting by figuring out and documenting the current environment, Devices, cabling, APs, etc. One thing that you should definitely do is wireless survey of the site.

This can be quite simple to achieve using kismet and a map of the site. Just walk around the site and every so often mark down on the map the signal strength and noise you are getting for their wireless network. Also list at each point what wireless networks are detected and what channel they are on.

Once you have the wireless survey you can use it figure out better locations to put the access points in and also what channel to run on to get the least interference from other wireless networks in the area. Once you have moved the access points you can then do the survey again and see if things have improved. You can repeat this process till you are sure that you have the access points in the best locations.

You can do all of the above without spending much money, and afterwards you will also be able to show where the gaps are and why you are buying new access points to fill them.

If you are thinking of using POE to the repeater then don't put in a repeater put in an access point instead as it will have an Ethernet cable plugged in anyway.

You on the right tracks with starting by figuring out and documenting the current environment, Devices, cabling, APs, etc. One thing that you should definitely do is wireless survey of the site.

This can be quite simple to achieve using kismet and a map of the site. Just walk around the site and every so often mark down on the map the signal strength and noise you are getting for their wireless network. Also list at each point what wireless networks are detected and what channel they are on.

Once you have the wireless survey you can use it figure out better locations to put the access points in and also what channel to run on to get the least interference from other wireless networks in the area. Once you have moved the access points you can then do the survey again and see if things have improved. You can repeat this process till you are sure that you have the access points in the best locations.

You can do all of the above without spending much money, and afterwards you will also be able to show where the gaps are and why you are buying new access points to fill them.

If you are thinking of using POE to the repeater then don't put in a repeater put in an access point instead as it will have an Ethernet cable plugged in anyway.

Or you can take a look at InSSider, it does the same as Kismet but it displays all the information on a graph. And if you are planning on delivering a report, than that's gonna look professional on your side.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/