Usage Based Billing In Canada

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account

You probably all heard about the absurd rulling by the CRTC (Canada's FCC)that all ISPs have to use Usage Based Billing. This means 25GB caps and no unlimited internet. Also Absurdly high overages ($2/GB). Well #UBB on twitter has all the protesting and information. Also The Liberal party and NDP party both have sided against it and it fairly certain it will be either overruled or a compromise will be made. However I did find an interesting post on a wordpress blog: http://antiubbcanada.wordpress.com/

They have apparently been contacted (wordpress) but from what I heard they used disposable e-mail addresses and hid behind proxies. Any ways what do you think of that protest? a 100GB file to be downloaded by as many as possible. Would that work in your opinion? How about UBB is it good or bad? I think it is very bad. No more BOL TNT TWIT or Hak5 until its settled I already hit 137GB out of my 60GB.

Edited by x942

That's ridiculous, how can they do that? The government has to do something about this, its not fair. Hope this issue gets sorted for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey ive been lurking around the forums for a while now and this topic made me have to register

You canadians are lucky. In scotland we have a "fair use policy" on all broadband purchases.

This means that we have a so called unlimited internet but due to the fair use policy we are paying £xx (£20 for me) a month for whatever the predefined fair use policy says we can use (40gb a month for me). After we pass this we have to pay £2 per 5gb of data transfer. For me downloading and uploading alot of data every day for numerous reasons i end up about 450gb over my allowance each month. I have been kicked off my plan by 2 providers in the last year as i refused to pay the extra £xxx a month for my unlimited broadband as the contract i signed had no say of the fair use policy and it was braught in without the public knowing it was legalised for companys to put this into a contract. I had a good read over my existing contracts and it had no mention of the fair use policy or a section that says they have the right to put one in there without tellin us and there was none. I pulled them up about it and got 1 year free internet with 0 limitations on speed or bandwith. Read over your contract before you think about quitting your isp because if they slipped up on the contract you signed you wont have to pay an extra penny to the fatcats.

Guest Deleted_Account

Hey ive been lurking around the forums for a while now and this topic made me have to register

You canadians are lucky. In scotland we have a "fair use policy" on all broadband purchases.

This means that we have a so called unlimited internet but due to the fair use policy we are paying £xx (£20 for me) a month for whatever the predefined fair use policy says we can use (40gb a month for me). After we pass this we have to pay £2 per 5gb of data transfer. For me downloading and uploading alot of data every day for numerous reasons i end up about 450gb over my allowance each month. I have been kicked off my plan by 2 providers in the last year as i refused to pay the extra £xxx a month for my unlimited broadband as the contract i signed had no say of the fair use policy and it was braught in without the public knowing it was legalised for companys to put this into a contract. I had a good read over my existing contracts and it had no mention of the fair use policy or a section that says they have the right to put one in there without tellin us and there was none. I pulled them up about it and got 1 year free internet with 0 limitations on speed or bandwith. Read over your contract before you think about quitting your isp because if they slipped up on the contract you signed you wont have to pay an extra penny to the fatcats.

First off how are we lucky? If this goes through we are capped at 20GB which is less then you. Than we are charged $5 per GIG yes per 1 GB not 5 GBs. seems like you still have better internet too me if this goes through (Although it probably won't now thanks to all the protesting). Also There aren't any contracts. Here in Canada if you are on cable most providers don't make you sign one. DSL on the other hand you do. Next time do some more research before posting how you are in a worse situation. You are right now but if UBB gets passed we have far worse data caps as we are charged per GB no per 5 GBs.

Guest Deleted_Account

i know many people who are capped at 5gb download a month and if they go over that they get cut off the internet till it rolls over. get over it, its going to happen eventually and there are still people worse off than you.

Now you are changing your story :/. Either way this is completely off topic. I was asking for thoughts on that persons protesting method not weither or not I was in a worse position than others or not. READ before you post.

This thread should be closed as it has turned into an off topic rant.

i wasnt changing the topic, my point still stands that no matter what you do, its still going to happen because the governments are money grabbing cu**s at the end of the day and broadband is an easy way for them to make money, your protest method would do nothing but show the government how much the internet is used, which will cause the price to be raised. No matter what you do its going to happen and protesting is only going to waste bandwith. The only way to protest this is to get as many people in canada as possible to cancel their subscriptions or protest outside your governments/isp's HQ, either way its probably not going to stop it.

Guest Deleted_Account

i wasnt changing the topic, my point still stands that no matter what you do, its still going to happen because the governments are money grabbing cu**s at the end of the day and broadband is an easy way for them to make money, your protest method would do nothing but show the government how much the internet is used, which will cause the price to be raised. No matter what you do its going to happen and protesting is only going to waste bandwith. The only way to protest this is to get as many people in canada as possible to cancel their subscriptions or protest outside your governments/isp's HQ, either way its probably not going to stop it.

Well the topic was on the protesting method but oh well. I do agree with what you are saying about it though. It does suck and the telcos love it and lie to get away with it. The way we are protesting and which is working so far was a protest and petition. Most of which to place on Twitter of all things. This got the attention of two of our political parties the Liberals and NDP both of which are now opposing the rulling and forced it to be over turned (which its being reviewed until march 1st). The conservatives didn't mention supporting it or not until recently but it makes them look bad I doubt they will be elected again.