Sbs 2011

Mike T

First off, great job everyone at Hak5. Been watching the episodes for a while now on my media center PC (using Boxee). The content of Hak5 is always informative, interesting and fun.

We do computer services and software development for businesses for a living. We've built/installed/configured/etc. a lot of Microsoft Windows Small Business Servers. Just wondering if anyone has tried the new SBS 2011 yet? You can get licensing now but we are waiting for the product downloads/DVDs.

Thanks.

Universal Computing Solutions, Inc.

Please check out our new technology blog

I am still using the 2003 version and have played very little with 2008. I think its too early to start using 2011. But I would definitely give a shot and see if there are much differences between the 2008 and 2011 version.

Edited by Infiltrator

We've setup SBS 2003 many times, it's worked pretty well for our clients over the years. SBS 2008 has some major changes such as UAC, exchange 2007, and requires much more cpu/memory in comparison to 2003, especially the SBS/Performance monitoring core. Now I know why they made it 64-bit only so you can keep piling on the RAM. I'm interested in seeing SBS 2011 with exchange 2010, some kind of new backups functionality, etc.

-Mike

I'd say that too, better backup functionality, in addition more security features and above all a larger file system and storage footprint.

Actually, we've been using symantec backup exec system recovery (BESR) server with removable hard drive modules (either usb or sata) and its been working quite well. BESR server does full image backups so you can do fast bare-metal restores, as well as individual file (and even individual exchange email) item restores. Using the hard drive modules makes the overall backups and restores super fast compared to tapes (we haven't touched tapes for almost 8 years now).

Thanks.