Can You Tell A Raid Setup Based Off What You See In Disk Mgmt

foo

One of my embarrassing weaknesses is RAID. Yes I know what most of them are, but I haven't ever really set dug into that area heavily. I was wondering if you could tell what RAID setup one has based off this img below. Obviously, ignore the Drobo.

Drives: C & D. It's comprised of 3x500GB WD 7200 SATA HDD's. My first thought was RAID5. Makes sense, but when I see Layout column saying "mirror", it leads me to believe it may be RAID5+1? Is it impossible to tell from the pic below? I CAN get physical access & boot into the servers RAID utility, if it'll tell me in there somehow...

Also, if it even matters, it's using a 'Promise 4port RAID Controller TX4310'

Lastly, when viewing drives in 'Computer', it shows C & D as each only being about 500GB

hdd_mgmt.png

Edited by foo

C comprises of a software mirror (RAID 1) on Drives 0 and 1. D comprises of a software mirror (RAID 1) on drives 2 and 1. This is not an ideal setup as writing to C will slow down writing to D and vise verse. Also, should disk 1 die both C and D are in danger of loosing data should they then die.

Also the Drobo is not in the ideal configuration for working with Server 2003 or later. Ideally you would create a single gigantanormouse 16TB partition.

Ya, I'm not surprised it's not the ideal setup. Someone else had set it up for this guy. I'm just trying to get the setup this guy has. The person who originally did it no longer wants to deal with IT stuff (wtf right?).

Anyway, this guy thought it was a smart idea to put together this basic server (sbs2008 64bit, core2Quad Q8200 proc, 4GB mem (max the mobo can even handle)) together it acts as the DC, SQL svr, DNS svr, & the primarily used application: EMR(electronic medical record) software. yes, only 4users at any given time utilize it but still. as most know, sql alone draws like ~2gb of mem on avg.

thx for input sparda B)

Edited by foo

What that technician did, was a really bad RAID practice. What if that massive hard drive dies, all that data gone. I think you should make a backup of that entire hard drive before something terrible happens and install a raid controller or buy a NAS device for backing up the data.

So that there is a bit of data redundancy on that system.

What that technician did, was a really bad RAID practice. What if that massive hard drive dies, all that data gone. I think you should make a backup of that entire hard drive before something terrible happens and install a raid controller or buy a NAS device for backing up the data.

So that there is a bit of data redundancy on that system.

There is redundancy, Disks 0 and 2 are mirrored on to disk 1. Data would only be lost of disk 1 and disk 0 or 2 died.

There is redundancy, Disks 0 and 2 are mirrored on to disk 1. Data would only be lost of disk 1 and disk 0 or 2 died.

Yes, but disk 3 does not have any redundancy its only a simple layout. Unless the data is being backed up, to the other mirrored disks.