Raid5 Help

charm_quark

damn, is there any way i can the drivers off the drive, because i just cant seem to find the drivers for this, as they came with the server, and are not made any more

Edited by charm_quark

Keeping a full backup of all the data is very important, however just out of curiosity what do you guys use for backing up your data?

Do you guys use any backup tape drive at all? Or just DVDs?

Personally we use a method of nightly backups being taken on each server and these are then passed over the network to two machines. One is away from our server room, the other is in our server room but writes each weeks backups to tape (the tapes are kept off site).

This means that for recent backups I can recover them from one of the two local machines, and if we have to go back further I can get the backup from the tape, or if disaster strikes we can rebuild from our latest tape backups.

For the drivers try http://download.cnet.com/Adaptec-SCSI-RAID-2610SA-Controller/3000-18492_4-82764.html. I don't know if they will work with your OS. But if you do a google search you get plenty of results.

Personally we use a method of nightly backups being taken on each server and these are then passed over the network to two machines. One is away from our server room, the other is in our server room but writes each weeks backups to tape (the tapes are kept off site).

This means that for recent backups I can recover them from one of the two local machines, and if we have to go back further I can get the backup from the tape, or if disaster strikes we can rebuild from our latest tape backups.

For the drivers try http://download.cnet.com/Adaptec-SCSI-RAID-2610SA-Controller/3000-18492_4-82764.html. I don't know if they will work with your OS. But if you do a google search you get plenty of results.

I use almost the same method for backing up as you do, backing up to an external hdd or to another device on the network. In addition, what tape of tape drive do you use? So far I have only been backing up to nas devices, but haven't used any tape drive. Since I haven't decided what type/brand to get from?

what tape of tape drive do you use? So far I have only been backing up to nas devices, but haven't used any tape drive. Since I haven't decided what type/brand to get from?

I use an LTO3 drive as that gives us 400GB of room per tape, which is enough to cover a set of backups (thanks to tar and gzip/bzip2). The key thing is that our script that writes the backups to the tape will email us afterwards and tell us to swap the tape, or we would forget to replace the tape each week. The script also keeps count of when a cleaning tape was last used and reminds us to put one in every 8 swap of tapes, just to keep it all clean.

If you have very large backups then you will want to be looking at using either a newer LTO type and/or a tape robot, which rather than using one tape will let you span the archive over multiple tapes.

sorry couldnt reply earlier, the telecoms guys were screwing around, so no net for the whole city!..

the drivers are still not available, cnet takes me back to adaptec and then the following error

404 Error

The webserver cannot retrieve the page you were trying to access.

For the most current information, please go to the Site Map or Home Page.

We'd like your suggestions on how to improve our service.

Please use our Comments page to send us your comments.

and most other sites are a dead end too!

sorry for late update!

university has just started, so was running around registering my courses and stuff.

i was given a program by a friend to weave the 3 drive's (images) so i'm just trying to find the correct, slice size, because there is nothing that in the raid controller settings, or anything. ;)

a general question, so if i get the right size, all the pic's ( well i'm using jpgs to find out, i read Scott A. Moulton "RAID by Sight and Sound" ) would all the jpg look ok ?

Edited by charm_quark

well that is what was secondary of my plan,

1) find out the slice and see if it is ok,

Explain: the program is good for data recovery and nothing beyond that,

2) reconstruct the raid onto a single drive

explain: the program "my friend " :P gave me can do that so i have a single drive that works.

Edited by charm_quark

• 2 weeks later...

well guys here is an update! sorry for being late,

after i was frustrated with the machine, i had a friend have a look at it for me, and it seems that,

1) the raid was never configured to begin with so it was booting of a single drive,

2) the reasons the OS died was a) because of damaged sectors,B) and it seems the smuk of the IT guy, updates the os just before it crashed.....

3) the installation was a fresh install, so i dont think there were any configurations installed,

so i'm just backing up everything and reinstalling everything.

so guys thanks for everything, learnt a lot through this ordeal ;)