Question With Rainbow Crack

Ace McSpades

Hi everyone im new here at hak5 fourms. I saw your episode (season 2 ep. 2) on the switchblade usb key and more importantly the Rainbow Crack software. Now there is a newer version out (version 1.5) that has a GUI on it and dosent need to be run via command line. Anyway, I thought I would give the program a shot. So I downloaded Rainbowcrack 1.5 for win32 from projet-rainbowcrack.com. Then i downloaded the torrent alpha-numeric-symbol32-space lanman rainbow tables fom the Shmoo Group. It was a rather large (34gb) file. When I run the GUI program and add the hashes, and then go under Rainbow Tables and select Search Rainbow Tables, and then go to the folder containing the downloaded tables, it says "no tables found". Am I doing something wrong? Please Help.

Ace

Edited by Ace McSpades

Try placing the tables in the same directory, as the cracker program is. And then try running again.

Thanks Infiltrator. I tried that to no avail. I was just brainstorming here, I could be right I could be wrong but when I browse for the tables, in the Files of Type box it says "Rainbow Tables, .rt and .rtc" The tables I have dont end in that function. Do you think that could be the problem?

Edited by Ace McSpades

Thanks Infiltrator. I tried that to no avail. I was just brainstorming here, I could be right I could be wrong but when I browse for the tables, in the Files of Type box it says "Rainbow Tables, .rt and .rtc" The tables I have dont end in that function. Do you think that could be the problem?

What extension does your rainbow table ends with? Generally the file extension of the rainbow tables should be one of those with .rt and .rtc

So you renamed your rainbow table file to lm_alpha-numeric-symbol32-space#1-7_6_15200x67108864_4.rt, is that correct?

If that is correct, what is error you are receiving now?

Edit: Could you also specify the full command you are typing please?

Edited by Infiltrator

And just make sure, how are you extracting the password hashes.

The ones I downloaded are.... lm_alpha-numeric-symbol32-space#1-7_6_15200x67108864_4.rt.lzma.md5sum When I downloaded the file it gave me a folder. within the foler are a bunch of items with names that are very close to this, this being the name of one that i copied and pasted

.md5sum files typically only contain the md5 hash of the file to verify integrity. However, you will need to decompress the .lzma file if you wish to use it. The resulting .rt file will likely be quite large, so make sure you have plenty of room. Obviously enough, you need lzma (or 7zip) to decompress an lzma file.

@infiltrator: In the GUI I select an option under Rainbow Crack and it says something along the lines of select hashes, then I go to where I have them stored on my drive, select them, and then open them.

@hexophrenic: Youre saying that I have to extract all of the files and then it should work?

@infiltrator: In the GUI I select an option under Rainbow Crack and it says something along the lines of select hashes, then I go to where I have them stored on my drive, select them, and then open them.

@hexophrenic: Youre saying that I have to extract all of the files and then it should work?

Forgot that part, yes you will need to uncompress or unzip the file you downloaded. That explains why the tables are not working. I overlooked that bit of detail in there.

Edit: you can use http://www.7-zip.org/, to uncompress it.

Edited by Infiltrator

• 2 weeks later...

That was the trick. Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys. The torrent took over 36 hours. There is one more question that I have though. I have a desktop that I was trying to do a test decrypt on, and the program said something like there was not enough bytes for the program to function. Do you know how I would get more bytes? And does it mean with in the hard drive or the machine itself?

That was the trick. Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys. The torrent took over 36 hours. There is one more question that I have though. I have a desktop that I was trying to do a test decrypt on, and the program said something like there was not enough bytes for the program to function. Do you know how I would get more bytes? And does it mean with in the hard drive or the machine itself?

I've never seen that error before, what happens if you use the command line interface cracker. Do you get the same error as well?