Using Nas For Server Storage

7h3kk1d

I'm about to move into an apartment and I'm setting up a home network. I'm going to build a rackmount and set up a NAS on it but was wondering if I buy some 1U servers for some other things if they can use the NAS as storage for lots of tasks(not boot). Mainly I'm wondering about running a UPNP server for distributing media but storing the media on the NAS.

The only issue I see with this set up is, that if someone is watching a video and another person on the other end starts torrenting files, that could have an impact on the video playback.

The only issue I see with this set up is, that if someone is watching a video and another person on the other end starts torrenting files, that could have an impact on the video playback.

What if I got 2 NICS and used one for computer traffic and the other for HTPC and console video streaming. Or I could even try to do load balancing for double the throughput.