Program Size

astromech_kuhns

So, i started checking this out lately, and i dont even know how i got onto it, i think it was mentioned over on hackthissite.org

i was immediately thrilled with the idea of having a multipass! and ive done a bit of looking around but have a question about it....

how large are the files once on the multi pass? for instance, if i were to put ubuntu 10.10 on a flash drive, would it take up as much room as the ISO file does, or the OS once its installed? it seems like you would need a lot more space if it was as much as the installation size of the OS. also these boot like a live cd correct? can save anything on the OS's on it?

i have a 4GB flash drive and am wondering if it will be enough for what i would like to do, which is a couple distro's and tools.

Thanks!

Kolton Kuhns

so i made a splashscreen and i have it at the top of my menu.lst files. i have the color code and timeout that Darren used.

when i try to boot from it it gives me a couple very strange set of characters.

i would think even without a reference to a OS and no OS files on it that i would get a menu to display.... maybe the grub is messed up?

I had my ipod plugged into a higher priority slot...... thats what gave me weird characters.

EDIT:

so i redid the whole thing. and now i should have gparted on there and working. my menu.lst file contains this code

timeout 120

title GParted 0.7.0-4
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 boot=live union=aufs noswap vga=791 ip=frommedia nolocales
initrd /live/initrd1.img

the files in my 1GB usb are grldr as well as menu.lst and live and boot from Gparted.

when i booted into it, it came up with a screen that says:

Grub4dos 0.4.4 2009-03-31, Memory 640K / 502M menu end: 0x4830c

below that in a box i have four options:

find /menu.lst, /boot/grub/menu.lst, /grub/menu.lst

command line

reboot

halt

first two take me to grub prompts next two are self explanatory.

so... not sure what the next move is or why its not working.

Edited by astromech_kuhns