Remote Desktop Replacement

ParMan

I'm looking for a remote desktop replacement for teamviewer. I'm looking for something web based so i can bypass my works firewall. Also it needs to be free I'm a poor man with his 2nd baby on the way. I was looking into logmein but I'm not sure how good it is. Anyways if anyone has any suggestions or better ideas I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

P.S:

I dont really know anything about my works firewall other then if i connect to my VPN i am unable to use Remote Desktop, but with my laptop on the wifi network i dont have a problem.

also i would really like it if the program did not require my computer to log off everytime the connection was closed. i want it to work more like a VNC

Edited by ParMan

Hey Parman, Might I ask what's the beef with teamviewer? I used to use VNC and Remote Desktop built into windows, and I find TeamViewer to be top knotch.

Anyways... if these computers can access twitter, you could do a twitter botnet kind of thing and using VNC to do a reverse connect.

*edit* just found it, it was episode 704 that talked about remote controlling your pc over twitter.

http://www.hak5.org/episodes/episode-704

*edit edit*

the string would be like VNC -connect address(ip or dyn-dns type):port

this works because you dont have to open a port on the remote router, but on your home router

Edited by BlueWyvern

Hey Parman, Might I ask what's the beef with teamviewer? I used to use VNC and Remote Desktop built into windows, and I find TeamViewer to be top knotch.

Anyways... if these computers can access twitter, you could do a twitter botnet kind of thing and using VNC to do a reverse connect.

*edit* just found it, it was episode 704 that talked about remote controlling your pc over twitter.

http://www.hak5.org/episodes/episode-704

*edit edit*

the string would be like VNC -connect address(ip or dyn-dns type):port

this works because you dont have to open a port on the remote router, but on your home router

i really dont have any beef with teamviewer i actually love it. i am told that the drivers for it are out of date though and where helping cause a nice BSoD. on my windows 7 box. and actually since i removed it i have not had any BSoD so i was looking for an alternate.

Thanks for the info.

I think LogMeIn would do the job for you, the only thing the free version doesn't really offer is filesharing, otherwise I think you'd be looking at punching holes in your firewall and using something like VNC (as mentioned above)

I think LogMeIn would do the job for you, the only thing the free version doesn't really offer is filesharing, otherwise I think you'd be looking at punching holes in your firewall and using something like VNC (as mentioned above)

i wont be punching holes though my works firewall. glad to hear good words about LogMeIn. thanks. i dont really need filesharing so thats fine.

i really dont have any beef with teamviewer i actually love it. i am told that the drivers for it are out of date though and where helping cause a nice BSoD. on my windows 7 box. and actually since i removed it i have not had any BSoD so i was looking for an alternate.

Thanks for the info.

just wondering about that, were you using teamviewer 5? I have it installed on ironically 7 windows 7 computers a few windows XP and a Windows Vista box or two. I have yet to have any of them crash as a result of Teamviewer. do you happen to know the file reported by the BSoD?

Best of luck!

just wondering about that, were you using teamviewer 5? I have it installed on ironically 7 windows 7 computers a few windows XP and a Windows Vista box or two. I have yet to have any of them crash as a result of Teamviewer. do you happen to know the file reported by the BSoD?

Best of luck!

Well i think they were talking about the teamviewervpn.sys (could be wrong) they said it was way old.

been using LogMeIn its not bad, but still not sure if i like it. still need to watch the twitter video.

Guest Deleted_Account

Logmein works great. Dont use it any more (besides hamatchi) as I am on linux but none-the-less it is a nice RDP tool. As for TeamViewer use to use it until Avast nucked it as a Trojan/Downloader :/ never got around to grabing it again but I am sure it was a FP as my settings are always at MAX.