Server/computer Backup Software

ParMan

my company is looking into a new server/computer backup software. my boss really likes ShadowProtect Server 4.0

http://store.storagecraft.com/acb/stores/1/ShadowProtect-Server-40-P149C19.aspx

because of the fact that you can boot into a virtual machine and not have any downtime. the software is almost $1000 and i know that there has to be an open source program that someone has used or even just a cheaper solution. that does about the same thing. if anyone knows of anything let me know. thanks.

No advice on software other than I use BackupExec and it seems to work OK. But sometimes its worth just paying for a supported product rather than using something which is free, but has so support other than a forum if it fubars. For something like backup software, this is doubly relevant.

the issue is not paying for software my boss just made it pretty clear that they don't want to pay $1000 for computer backup software. i didn't know if anyone knew of something similar to Shadow Protect. they really like the virtual imaging.

Amanda is the most popular open source backup and recovery software in the world. Amanda protects more than half a million servers and desktops running various versions of Linux, UNIX, BSD, Mac OS-X and Microsoft Windows operating systems worldwide.

http://amanda.zmanda.com/