Pinapple Vs Alfa

What is the advantage of using a pineapple over just using an Alfa running airbase and a few other tools? At first I thought it was because it was small and portable, but if you want to tunnel internet you will need to connect it to a netbook anyways, so why not just use airbase?

Think in the means of a corp. pen test.

You could plug this into an internet jack anywhere in a building and have it gateway to your static IP and monitor traffic from across the building. Or if you get custom enough you could have it replicate traffic via VPN to your house (like interceptor concept).

That right, battery power it and have it tap into a clients wired network and you've got a really good onsite testing box that is cheap enough not to break the bank if it does get stolen.

Personally if I'm doing a test and I have my laptop I run Karma on that along with all the other services.

You are right, however i could not make karma work in backtrack with my alfa. If you do it on an open mesh router you will not take up cpu cycles. However you wont get all the flexibility of doing it in karma on backtrack. They both have their pros and cons but you still should have an alfa for other types of attacks. I like both to be honest.

Edited by aarocka

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm doing this attack as part of a client job and I'm on site and don't have to leave equipment behind then I use an Atheros PCMCIA card and run my Karma'ed version of hostapd, from that I can then run all my standard Linux tools. Setting up DHCP, DNS and the rest is fairly simple. If you want to man in the middle the DNS then you have the DHCP server give your IP as the DNS server then use my Metasploit DNS MITM module.

Its a lot more powerful but you have to be there to do it all.

• 3 weeks later...