Asus 900a Boot Issue

Corrosion.

I have an asus 900A eee pc, I have windows xp installed on its 4GB SSD and backtrack 4 installed on a 2GB sd card.

I can boot from either drive/card just fine, my problem is within the bios if I set it to boot from removable media it does not seem to work.

But if I set the 1st hard drive as my sd card and my second drive as my ssd I can boot into backtrack from my sd card without any problems. The thing is I'd rather not change my bios settings each and every time I want to switch my operating system and the drive is too small for a dual boot setup.

I was wondering if you guys think it might be possible to modify BT4s boot loader, It has an option to boot from the 1st hard drive (which dosn't really do anything since my sd card is set as the 1st drive so it just reboots itself) Do you think its possible to make it an option to boot from the second drive?

This way I could keep the sd card in at all times and have a nice dual booted system.

I did think about upgrading the hard drive but its about 70-120$ and I already dropped $130 on the netbook.

I'll mess around with the files later on tonight, just figured I'd pop in and see what you guys thought.

EDIT

Ok, I figured out I have to modify syslinux.cfg to modify the boot menu

ex:

label ubnentry8

menu label Boot the First Hard Disk

kernel /ubnkern

append initrd=/ubninit

I need to figure out what I have to do to make that boot the 2nd hdd

Edited by acer5050

Not sure if the bios in your 900HA is the same as my 1000H or not. On my 1000H I have Windows 7 on an internal 32gb SSD and various linux distro's on SD cards. I've never bothered to change anything in the bios. When I boot the netbook I tap the Escape key and get a boot option to boot from the internal drive or the SD card.

Not sure if the bios in your 900HA is the same as my 1000H or not. On my 1000H I have Windows 7 on an internal 32gb SSD and various linux distro's on SD cards. I've never bothered to change anything in the bios. When I boot the netbook I tap the Escape key and get a boot option to boot from the internal drive or the SD card.

Dude, you kick ass!

Thanks man, that worked perfect!