Help For Noobs....from Noobs

Hey,

I am a noob so take a deep breath before you start throwing things.

With the help of DNinja, I was able to get my Fon working but have had struggles each time I use it. Below are the steps that I seem to have to do to (each time) get things working. Yes, following the other instructions works...at times but never consistently.

• plug in the fon to another router - this gives you an IP to get logged in
  • pull the cat5 and login via your first wireless card (front facing)
  • login to the fon and change the IP settings to STATIC, then type in your secondary IPs (back facing card)
  • click save but not apply - Every time I press apply the settings revert, if I just click save it saves my alt IPs
  • at that point you can log into the fon and change the IP settings to DHCP (needed to give other clients IPs and for the ICS to pass the internet on.

I know there are other ways to do this but the instructions are far to nebulous for me.

Just thought this might help other noobs.

QUESTIONS;

• Why does the IP settings change between having the fon powered on. (I have to redo this each time the unit is powered off more than a little bit)
  • Why does the button "apply settings" when changing the IP scheme, revert the IPs to the inital connection?

With all these inconsistencies, the unit is not useful outside of a lab. At least not with present router hardware/firmware.

OK, start the beatings.

I think you are seeing weird things because of the way you are using it. If configured correctly the settings stay as they are set and the device works fine wherever you want to put it. I fixed my IP address when I built it and have never changed it since.

Be careful when setting things to DHCP, there is a difference between turning on a DHCP server to give clients a DHCP address and setting an interface to get its IP through DHCP. Reading the last bullet point this might be where you are going wrong.

If you don't do the apply settings then the configuration isn't saved to disk it is just held in memory for the duration of the session, this would also explain why you are seeing different things each time you boot as you are never actually writing your settings to disk.

• 5 months later...

umm i think thats what i did too... from the OPENWRT -> Networks -> STATIC to DHCP... is that why a lotta people are getting limited or not connected connections?

Because the fon is looking for an IP address and the ethernet NIC is also looking for an IP address when set to Obtain and IP address... lol....both are looking for IP addresses and when it times out it gives an 169.*.*.* IP address...?

:D

You can beat me up too... I'm used to it..

This is why I always recommend people have a good knowledge of networking before trying to play with Jasager. There are times when I've got to stop and think about what I'm enabling and disabling and what I'm routing to where so without a good underlying knowledge then all you end up doing is clicking boxes.

Once you have the basics then moving on to Jasager does really help to solidify them.

With all respect

According to the instructions...

http://www.hak5.org/w/index.php/Internet_C...mit_Der_Jasager

This is the bit that threw me right out of there... with the addition of the missing pictures... (is there any set of pictures online?)

"Change the drop down box next to “Connection Type” from whatever it is set to, to something like Static IP and then back to DHCP. Do this a couple of times. For some reason, in my webif interface, when I change to DHCP, not all settings are available until I do this. In any case, you’ll want to see these options:"

I got it working now which is great I must admit... and I am loving it now :-) (I'll post my setup soon as an example )

I love the challenge of when things STUFF UP.. thats when you really find out more about the device... your right people have to:

- Read instructions...

- THINK about what they are doing and commiting CHANGES to

- Have a BACKUP plan on how to take a step back...

- Seach the Forums for the existing issues that people are having

- DON'T expect a handed down answer.. Have a GO and expect shit to break....

and the most IMPORTANT thing that people take for granted...

TRUST YOUR TECHNOLUST!

Thanks Xtronic for posting this it helped my issue...

Thanks Digininja - You Legend!

I love pineapple flavoured Packets!

Chat soon :-)

I am having same issue, read the same instructions that have missing pics and did some of the same stuff as outlined. Now I can't get a setup screen. The ssid is still what I set it for. Isn't there some way to setup nic card ip so device can be talked to or wireless for that matter ?

I know that I set it to dhcp, guess that was wrong. Its too light to be bricked, I hope :D

Darren wrote the wiki, I had nothing to do with it so don't have the original images to put back. I mailed him but he is busy at the moment.

If you set it to DHCP then tat means it is expecting to get an address from a DHCP server so all you need to do is turn on a DHCP server so it can get an address then you can set it back to static.

Darren wrote the wiki, I had nothing to do with it so don't have the original images to put back. I mailed him but he is busy at the moment.

If you set it to DHCP then tat means it is expecting to get an address from a DHCP server so all you need to do is turn on a DHCP server so it can get an address then you can set it back to static.

Thank You however all the things I tried just don't let me in. All I have is winxxx boxes, minus my stolen win7. Plan to make a linux one soon, before all this but now this :eek

I can see what is going on with commview or ipconfig, is there some other way to figure out address to front end, not jasager as I did not mess that up.

The 198.168.1.1 or any other variation wont go. If reset does nothing than at least I know that is not it.

where are you running the dhcp server?

I set my pineapple 2 to dhcp within the webif front end. So I would guess it looks for an ip from my nic card or if connected to router then there. Would that make my laptop the dhcp server?

If I could set my hardwired nic to dole out 198.168.1.1 (or what?) maybe the PA2 would then let me talk to it. If I connect the PA2 up to home router it gets an address and I can wifi in to, then the net so its working like that.

You need to run a DHCP server on the network that your Fon is plugged in to with the wired cable. When it starts up it will ask for an address through DHCP, if you aren't running a DHCP server then it will ask and get ignored so won't get an address and so will not be contactable.

There are various posts on running a DHCP server on windows machines if you search the forums.

Ok I did some looking up for how to run dhcp server, looks like I will need to get my taxes done first as this will take awhile to find someone that uses xp first and knows how to step by step it.

is there a short cut, like orginal thread starter mentions connecting to router, I assume ip is assigned in most router setups, but the unpluging part then connecting to that ip, not sure if he did wireless or plugged it in to laptop, doubt that would work in my case.

So before I messed mine up I had the ip set for 192.168.0.250 based on some pictureless instructions in wiki. But after setting static to dhcp I wonder if I could ever connect to webif again? I downloaded Nmap hoping it could find the ip and port that was open. Could not get any local info.

What about telnet, is there an ip that is set on this pineapple 2?

Lastly I see the ssid of netgear4 that I set on PA2, so it must not have lost everything. I can also surf through its wifi when I have it connected to home router / internet.

I'm going to go back to a previous comment, you need to learn basic networking before playing with Jasager. If you had that knowledge then you would be able to answer all those questions yourself.

I could give you the answers but it is better to learn yourself

I'm going to go back to a previous comment, you need to learn basic networking before playing with Jasager. If you had that knowledge then you would be able to answer all those questions yourself.

I could give you the answers but it is better to learn yourself

Yep I guess you are right. Had I not been in a rush to try and catch a thief that stole all my little girls pictures and videos (laptop-gps-datacard) I would not have ordered a $100 plus device that is in no way ready to use for average joe. I also know the chances of finding this person is slim to none. But at the time it seemed like a good plan, my only plan, next to a decoy device. They never used my data card like I hoped. Whats a 100 on top of 1000.

Any way this is the kind of stuff I love to learn, just a time factor right now. Thanks for writing the software. Maybe amazon has some good books on this stuff.

Hope you get the missing things sorted.

For learning, if you don't know Linux get your head around that first, then I'd suggest DNS (play with /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf) DHCP (start your own dhcp server and configure it, really easy once you know how but bugger to learn in first place) then routing. Get a second interface for one of your machines and plug another machine into that, get the middle one to route all traffic and give out DHCP addresses.

Once you've got all that sorted Jasager should be easy.