Zipit Z2 Hak'ed, Now What Fun Is To Be Had?

Zarrsh

So I got this guy up and running, wpa2, ssh.

Did Doom2 for a bit (freezes on quiting the game for some reason).

One of the ultimate things that would justify the cost of this device to my friends, and make them think I'm not crazy for buying more computers, is if I can get this one emulator working on it properly, just for the sake of one epic game

OREGON TRAIL :lol:

I ssh'ed the Kegs Apple II emulator onto the Zipit, but can't figure out how to get this thing compiled. Then I'll move on from there to loading my Oregon Trail image.

If anyone wants to work with me and get this figured out I would greatly appreciate it. That and if anyone else has some great ideas for this device let me know. (I know you can't top the pocket Oregon Trail idea, but I'm open for attempts)

Thanks,

Zarrsh

Where did you get your Zipit Z2 from? I have been shopping around to try and find the best price for one, but cannot really find one for cheaper then $49.95 plus shipping.

Target seems to be the only place... and not at a brick & mortar Target, online. I found it on Amazon, but that just is on there through target as well. After tax + ship it came out to about $59.

I need to get

OREGON TRAIL going for Apple 2 emulator. Justifies the spending of $59.

• 2 weeks later...
Target seems to be the only place... and not at a brick & mortar Target, online. I found it on Amazon, but that just is on there through target as well. After tax + ship it came out to about $59.

I need to get

OREGON TRAIL going for Apple 2 emulator. Justifies the spending of $59.

Zarrsh:

Have ye a cross compiler setup yet? There is a virtual PC ready to go somewhere with all the hard work done. All you really need is to tar -xzvf xxx.yyy

cd xxx

./configure

make

In theory just about all vanilla c and c++ stuff should work out of the box provided your userland has the libraries in it. I managed to get a calculator emu to work.

Have some links and whatnot if you are interested that should help.

Bought mine on amazon.

Anyway encode a video in mpeg1 (streaming preferably) run from the terminal

mplayer -vo fbdev -vf rotate=2 -bandwidth 1000000 VIDEONAMEHERE.mpg

The above line will play the video for you. you must be in the folder the video is in when doing so.

Also if you'd like to play mp3s

mplayer nameofsong.mp3

do that in the directory of the song.

BTW, internal speaker sucks, use command alsamixer to turn it off and hit the smile button to save and exit.

I have my own site w.i.p.... I have a wiki for it as well

http://zipitzone.com

http://wiki.zipitzone.com

Edited by acer5050

Anyway encode a video in mpeg1 (streaming preferably) run from the terminal

mplayer -vo fbdev -vf rotate=2 -bandwidth 1000000 VIDEONAMEHERE.mpg

The above line will play the video for you. you must be in the folder the video is in when doing so.

Also if you'd like to play mp3s

mplayer nameofsong.mp3

I would also love to stream my terabytes to this little device, but so far cannot figure it out. I have always used TVersity and I am quite a fan of it.

I followed these instructions but there are a few parts I don't get, options I don't have.

http://hunterdavis.com/archives/218

from the terminal I try a link from my TVersity server

mplayer -vo fbdev -vf rotate=2 -bandwidth 100000 %1 "http://192.168.1.101:41952/geturl/hot%2brod%2b(2007).avi.avi%3ftype%3dvideo%252fx-msvideo%26url%3dfile%253a%252f%252fq%253a%252fmovies%252f%26title%3dHot%2bRod%2b(2007)%26ext%3d.avi"

It starts to play, but everything is blocky, and it plays like 1 frame every like 10 seconds or so, very very unwatchable.

My guesses are the URL I'm using is not good, & or something with encoder. Maybe the url is somewhat right, because it at least starts to play the correct file.

I saw something about swapmon -s ( for swapspace for someone else). I'm not sure if I'm reading it right, but it does look like swapspace is there & gets used.

Edited by Zarrsh