Kon Boot

stone

i have been looking into kon boot for a while because i normaly forget my passwords. i have been trying to install it on a USB flash drive. it won't boot on my computer. this may be some mistake i made in bios or setting up the drive. could anyone give me some help?

i have been looking into kon boot for a while because i normaly forget my passwords. i have been trying to install it on a USB flash drive. it won't boot on my computer. this may be some mistake i made in bios or setting up the drive. could anyone give me some help?

I found this hack5 forum thread on KonBoot, I think its worth checking it out.

http://www.hak5.org/forums/index.php?showt...&hl=KonBoot

Edited by Infiltrator

well i just tried it on my vista machine and it booted the drive but gave me an error saying it coldnt find kernelsera.c2 something like that

i used this website iron geek kon boot

KonBoot will work with certain machines, but if you want to find out what your password is, you could also use OPHcrack, it won't let you down unless your password is over 14 characters long.

Edited by Infiltrator

KonBoot will work with certain machines, but if you want to find out what your password is, you could also use OPHcrack, it won't let you down unless your password is over 14 characters long.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The Vista free tables are VERY limited.

tables_vista.png

For cracking NT passwords, you can try Ophcrack with the Vista free tables, but if it the password isn't cracked try here or crack it yourself.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The Vista free tables are VERY limited.

tables_vista.png

For cracking NT passwords, you can try Ophcrack with the Vista free tables, but if it the password isn't cracked try here or crack it yourself.

Sorry you are right, I forgot to remember that ophcrack is very limmited on the size of hashes it can crack under vista. But if the op was using XP, it would be a different story.

Edited by Infiltrator

I didn't mean to be harsh, btw. It sounded funny in my head... lol

But, the XP free tables are still not going to catch everything (Although I've only came across a few "normal users' " passwords that it couldn't crack). This is because the charset for the XP free tables is only mixalpha-numeric of length 5-14 (1-4 is bruteforced), which means a password from 1-14 digits will be cracked as long as it contains only the characters "0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ" so a space, exclamation point, period, comma, etc. would render your results half-successful, at best. I say "half-successful" because if there is only one special character, you may still get the other half of the password (passwords larger than 7 characters are actually split at the 7 char limit, and both parts are hashed, which is why they are so quick and easy to crack. (2x1-7 requires much less time than 1x8-14)).

Edited by H@L0_F00

I didn't mean to be harsh, btw. It sounded funny in my head... lol

But, the XP free tables are still not going to catch everything (Although I've only came across a few "normal users' " passwords that it couldn't crack). This is because the charset for the XP free tables is only mixalpha-numeric of length 5-14 (1-4 is bruteforced), which means a password from 1-14 digits will be cracked as long as it contains only the characters "0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"

What if you generated your own rainbow tables, and altered the charset. I know it would take a very long time to generate those tables, but wouldn't it be possible.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if the password length is greater than 14 characters it would be useless.

Edited by Infiltrator

Passwords longer than 14 are hashed only as NT, so you can still crack them... If you have a lot of time or a pseudo-supercomputer and NT tables that went that high (the storage space required for such tables would be enormous...). But then again, you could also just submit it to one of the few free password cracking services. 1, 2, 3, 4

Yes, you can create your own rainbow tables. It will take you quite some time though.

Winrtgen

rtgen

You can read for days rainbow tables, time-memory trade-off, etc. and still be only scratching the surface of password cracking. With rainbow tables you have to start looking at keyspace, chains, etc. If you really want to read up on it, start here and google until you are satisfied. :)

Edited by H@L0_F00

Passwords longer than 14 are hashed only as NT, so you can still crack them... If you have a lot of time or a pseudo-supercomputer and NT tables that went that high (the storage space required for such tables would be enormous...). But then again, you could also just submit it to one of the few free password cracking services. 1, 2, 3, 4

Yes, you can create your own rainbow tables. It will take you quite some time though.

Winrtgen

rtgen

You can read for days rainbow tables, time-memory trade-off, etc. and still be only scratching the surface of password cracking. With rainbow tables you have to start looking at keyspace, chains, etc. If you really want to read up on it, start here and google until you are satisfied. :)

I am thinking in building a clustered environment with over 10 pcs, using 4TB of storage in a raid 0 configuration, with a motherboard supporting dual processors that will give a total of 8 cores per node.

Each node will have a total of 16GB of ram and will therefore be using Cluster Knoppix, but I am not sure what program to use for generating the rainbow tables in this kind of environment.

Do you have any suggestion.

We've hijacked the OPs thread. That's not very nice lol

If you are going to do that though, I say do something more than just create rainbow tables with it! lol

If you really want to talk about this, start a new thread.

Here's what I found while looking around though:

CHAOS

which lead to openMosix

I haven't done a lot of reading about it, but it looks like you can run almost any normal linux program on a system like this? If so, just use rtgen... which I can't find the current source code for (since you'd have to compile from source on linux)... Buuuut I decided to keep looking and found rtgen-mt

Edit: That took me almost an hour to find... <_<

Edited by H@L0_F00

We've hijacked the OPs thread. That's not very nice lol

If you are going to do that though, I say do something more than just create rainbow tables with it! lol

If you really want to talk about this, start a new thread.

Here's what I found while looking around though:

CHAOS

which lead to openMosix

I haven't done a lot of reading about it, but it looks like you can run almost any normal linux program on a system like this? If so, just use rtgen... which I can't find the current source code for (since you'd have to compile from source on linux)... Buuuut I decided to keep looking and found rtgen-mt

Edit: That took me almost an hour to find... <_<

I think you are right, maybe I should create another thread to talk about generating rainbow tables on clustered environment.

And by the way, thank you for the effort you put into searching for this information I really appreciate.

Edited by Infiltrator