What Is Your Best Scare Tactic To Get People Serious About Security?

ascorbic

In my day to day life I see plenty of people not taking security seriously enough. I guess ignorance is bliss for these guys. They either think "WEP, it is equivalent so it is good enough" or "Nothing will ever happen to us" or the worst of all "We can't invest any money into hiring a network guy to secure and maintain our network, it just costs too much."

Have you ever scared someone into beefing up security on your network? If so what sort of techniques seem to work best to get people serious about security?

Oddly enough, "here's a backup of your database" is suprisingly less effective than "here's your facebook password".

• 1 month later...

Wifi hacking, if its a honeypot scenario, redirect them to a locally hosted web page saying they got owned and they need to watch out. If its a wifi access point...ill just put a notepad doc on their desktop. "hey, i got in...fix your security with these 3 easy steps..."

Edited by the sorrow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My wife's old office used to be down the street from a Remax. They had wifi, oddly enough called ReMax. Open to the world. If for some reason someone was to connect to their wifi they would find that ever computer in their office (about 10) had file sharing turned on for drive c. After the fifth time I logged into their wifi router, a linksys wrt54g and shut down the wireless connection, which didn't help, I left txt files on every desktop telling them that all their customer data was open to the world. It also stated that there was a school right across the street where the kids that were on in school suspension went to class. Oddly enough a day later they had encryption enabled! It was wep, but hey, at least they were trying....