Looking For A New Laptop

ascorbic

Here is what I want out of my next laptop

Screen Size: no larger than 16" preferably larger than 15" but not a huge deal

Resolution: 1920x1080

Video Chipset: nVidia or Intel

CPU: Core i5 or Core i7 or better if there is something in the pipleline

Brand: Preference towards ASUS or Lenovo, Toshiba, HP. No Sony.

Memory: min of 4gb expandable to 8gb

And obviously it should work well with backtrack.

So far it looks like just the ASUS G51JX meets my needs. It seems like this model had some drivers issues so I am not sold just yet. Is there anything upcoming which would be worth waiting for?

I think you need to review your requirements a little. I just want to be sure you know exactly what you are asking for.

Laptops generally are 15" or 17", relatively very few are 16".

Most computers screens (and laptops) have a 16:10 (1920x1200, 1280x800) aspect ratio, very few laptops/monitors are 16:9 (1920x1080, 1280x720). As most applications have bars on the top and bottom of the window you loose screen hight and end up looking at a thin bar of actual content, by going for a 16:9 screen you loose even more screen hight. Also, having such a high resolution on such a small screen hardly seems worth it. 24" and 27" screens (usually) use 1920x1200 as there native resolution.

Why would you allow an Intel graphics card in this? Every thing else seems relatively high end, not that Intel graphics cads are particularly bad, just doesn't match the CPU requirements.

I suppose you could be planing on making this your only computer then have a TV and/or monitor to plug it in to when not moving about.

I think you need to review your requirements a little. I just want to be sure you know exactly what you are asking for.

Laptops generally are 15" or 17", relatively very few are 16".

I am looking for something no bigger than 16" so sizes 15", 15.4" 15.5", 15.6" and 16" all match that. I am not looking for 15" or 16" only. Anything above 16" is going to be too big. There are a variety of Asus, Toshiba and MSI's that are 16".

Most computers screens (and laptops) have a 16:10 (1920x1200, 1280x800) aspect ratio, very few laptops/monitors are 16:9 (1920x1080, 1280x720). As most applications have bars on the top and bottom of the window you loose screen hight and end up looking at a thin bar of actual content, by going for a 16:9 screen you loose even more screen hight. Also, having such a high resolution on such a small screen hardly seems worth it. 24" and 27" screens (usually) use 1920x1200 as there native resolution.

I haven't seen many 1920x1200 laptops. I am just looking for the highest resolution I can get and 1920x1080 seems pretty common. If there is something that meets all other criteria with 1920x1200 that would be even better. Visual Studio gets cramped very quickly, the more pixels the better.

Why would you allow an Intel graphics card in this? Every thing else seems relatively high end, not that Intel graphics cads are particularly bad, just doesn't match the CPU requirements.

I am looking for nVidia or Intel, no AMD/ATI.

IDEs do like big resolutions, and lots of RAM, and lots of CPU, and cause lots of hard disk grinding. Have you considered a high performance SSD? That obviously comes with a storage problem, but if you get a laptop that has a high performance SSD and a regular hard disk... The G51Jx does look like an awesome laptop, the only thing that comes close is a AlienWare M15x (yes, it's a Dell) whcih only misses but having a 15.6" screen (also 16:9 1920x1080) and probably costs a bit more (it's an alienware).

IDEs do like big resolutions, and lots of RAM, and lots of CPU, and cause lots of hard disk grinding. Have you considered a high performance SSD? That obviously comes with a storage problem, but if you get a laptop that has a high performance SSD and a regular hard disk... The G51Jx does look like an awesome laptop, the only thing that comes close is a AlienWare M15x (yes, it's a Dell) whcih only misses but having a 15.6" screen (also 16:9 1920x1080) and probably costs a bit more (it's an alienware).

I'd love an SSD. In fact I'd love an SSD for my desktop but the price hasn't been sweet enough for me just yet. I don't need a ton of storage space so the capacity factor isn't a big deal for me. I'll take a look at the aliendell, I haven't touched one of those machines since the dude your getting a dell days. Thanks for the input.

Here is what I want out of my next laptop

And obviously it should work well with backtrack.

So far it looks like just the ASUS G51JX meets my needs. It seems like this model had some drivers issues so I am not sold just yet. Is there anything upcoming which would be worth waiting for?

Alternatively you could consider this one http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=8je5Ot4HBnKOdT81

Dell Precision M4500

15.6"

15.6" (40 cm) FHD LED Back-Lit Display (1920x1080) Resolution

NVIDIA® Quadro FX 880M Graphics with 1GB3 dedicated memory

or

NVIDIA® Quadro FX 1800M Graphics with 1GB3 dedicated memory

Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core & Extreme Edition

or

Intel® Core™ i5 & i7 Dual Core Processors

Dell

Two Memory slots offering up to 8GB

Aprox spec £1400 (going by your min requirements)

Dell Precision M4500

15.6"

15.6" (40 cm) FHD LED Back-Lit Display (1920x1080) Resolution

NVIDIA® Quadro FX 880M Graphics with 1GB3 dedicated memory

or

NVIDIA® Quadro FX 1800M Graphics with 1GB3 dedicated memory

Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core & Extreme Edition

or

Intel® Core™ i5 & i7 Dual Core Processors

Dell

Two Memory slots offering up to 8GB

Aprox spec £1400 (going by your min requirements)

Thanks for specing this out. I checked the USA site, it doesn't seem like the Precision line has the Core i7 yet but the Lattitude does. I was able to price one for $1433 that meeted my requirements.

Do you use a dell machine, what are your thoughts on their build quality? I have stayed away from them.

Dell Studio XPS 16. I had one up until a month or so ago and it was great. I only sold it due to the Alienware m11x coming out and I did not need a large screen any more.

The only issue for you is that it has ATI 4670 graphics.

Edited by SWFu