Increasing Upload Speeds

Infiltrator

Hi Guys,

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to increase the upload speeds on a regular broadband internet connection. The plan that I am currently on, only gives me 1mgbits. I have spoken to my ISP, who advised me it may not be possible due to the current exchange configuration.

Say even if it was possible, what sort of hardware or configuration I would need to have in order to increase the upload speed.

Your comments will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

There is a good chance that the hardware you have is fine for (probably, assuming you have a ADSL2+ transceiver, which most are) up to 3.5Mbps upload.

Other wise you'll have to look in to SDSL transceivers, however, the problem there is that your ISP would have to install a SDSL transceiver at the phone exchange that implements the same specifications as the SDSL you intend to use.

Thank you very much for the information, I don't think my exchange would have SDSL installed at their end either, even if they had I would have to pay a little bit more compared to what I am pay at the moment. But budge is not an issue for me.

Thanks anyway, I really appreciate.

Upload to where? Like an FTP site? For example, if you used something like Filezilla as your FTP client, you can specify multiple uploads at the same time instead of 1 thread, which effectevly sends faster.

Browsers have similar features for downloading, but unless a program you are using and the server at the other end handles multiples of simultaneous connections, then you are limited to whatever speed you get from your ISP via 1 connection to the destination you are uploading to.

Upload to where? Like an FTP site? For example, if you used something like Filezilla as your FTP client, you can specify multiple uploads at the same time instead of 1 thread, which effectevly sends faster.

That only negates FTP connection speed limits, the OP is talking about physical connection speeds.

That only negates FTP connection speed limits, the OP is talking about physical connection speeds.

Yes, then that is set by your hardware and ISP limitations. Chances are, you will never meet your hardwares limits though unless you are using a 10Mbit nic card.

Yes, then that is set by your hardware and ISP limitations. Chances are, you will never meet your hardwares limits though unless you are using a 10Mbit nic card.

The reason I asked, is because I am planning in building a $10.000 VPS. And as result, I am looking for faster upload connection speeds.

Edited by Infiltrator

The reason I asked, is because I am planning in building a $10.000 VPS. And as result, I am looking for faster upload connection speeds.

The easy way to archive a large amount of data to be delivered it by writing the data to a DVD, placing the DVD in an envelope with the intended destination clearly written on the front along with a first class stamp then placing it in a letter box. If you use multiple DVD's by comparison you have a faster connection than the fastest internet connections, of course the latency is a bit high. Still, <number of DVDs> * 4GB/2 or 3 days isn't bad in terms of actual band width.

In all seriousness, if you need to transfer a very large amount of information posting it to the data centre on DVDs isn't a half bad plan. Of course encrypt the contents, and probably want to use a tracked delivery encase it does go missing, that way you can at least say to any one who tries to sue you "We did every thing we could, we encrypted it and used a traceable delivery method".

If there is so much data it's impractical even for DVDs, a 120GB portable hard disk is practically nothing from $10000 lol.

The easy way to archive a large amount of data to be delivered it by writing the data to a DVD, placing the DVD in an envelope with the intended destination clearly written on the front along with a first class stamp then placing it in a letter box. If you use multiple DVD's by comparison you have a faster connection than the fastest internet connections, of course the latency is a bit high. Still, <number of DVDs> * 4GB/2 or 3 days isn't bad in terms of actual band width.

In all seriousness, if you need to transfer a very large amount of information posting it to the data centre on DVDs isn't a half bad plan. Of course encrypt the contents, and probably want to use a tracked delivery encase it does go missing, that way you can at least say to any one who tries to sue you "We did every thing we could, we encrypted it and used a traceable delivery method".

If there is so much data it's impractical even for DVDs, a 120GB portable hard disk is practically nothing from $10000 lol.

I am not building it for malicious purposes, but just for personal use only. And in addition the faster upload connection speed, is not for transferring larger amounts of data, but to use it for general purposes.

The server will be used mainly for hosting VMs, data storage and as well as cracking passwords.