Lcd Flicker

WubbaDuck

I've got an hp dv5t-1000 and randomly the screen will just flicker or jump. Sometimes it will just... shimmer is really the only way to describe it. It not like all of the youtube videos the picture never changes color it just jumps. It seems to be a little worse when it gets heated up.

It is covered under a 3 year warranty with accidental damage but I have already sent it in twice just to have HP tell me that they couldn't duplicate the problem.

I have already opened it up and cleaned all of the connectors with no luck.

I also swapped Vista Home Premium for 7 Pro but that didn't help either.

Any suggestions on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

like this http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Display-and-v...ware/m-p/182539 ?just send it in and demand a working replacement

Similar to that. I bought my first hp in 2007 and since then I have had it replaced on warranty twice. they said that they won't replace it until they have fixed it three times. problem is I use this thing all day every day for work and school.

yup 3 years. I got this one in January of '09 they replaced it twice and restarted the warranty each time they replaced it.

all of the drivers are up to date and I have don several fresh installs none of it worked.

I've seen every thing from bad wiring to not holding your mouth just right. Even if it is bad wiring hp has told me twice that they couldn't replicate the problem so they didn't replace the lcd.

from the sounds of it, sending it to them is probably my only option.

Are you using VGA or DVI connections? Try adjusting the refresh rate, but it should already know what to set it to if you load the proper drivers for the monitor. HP usually has updates for their monitors beleived it or not, so check that as well. Ive seen jitter screens before when loose cabling was inbolved and moving the calbe would seem to fix it, but not sure if that is your root cause of the problem. I would try an alternate monitor for a few days and see if the problem arises in the new monitor. If not, then its probably not software based and more the monitor itself.

You could be experiencing something in the OS as the cause similar to this mans problem with his laptop:

http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=15822 but we have yet to still determine what his issue is being caused by. Its not like he can can swap his LCD, although, he could try an external monitor if his laptop has the ports for it....

This is a laptop but I have tried it with vga out and it doesn't have any problem. It also has HDMI out but I haven't tried that. The refresh rate has only 60Hz as an option. Could DirectX 10 be causing this since nothing changed between Vista and 7 but I didn't seem to have the issue on Ubuntu or Backtrack4??? Here is my specs if it helps at all.

Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard

Family 103C_5335KV

Product Name HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC

Disk Space Disk C: 193 GB Available, 465 GB Total, 193 GB Free

CPU IntelĀ® Core2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz

Physical Memory 3070 MB Total

Maximum Memory Capacity 8192 MB

Virtual Memory 6137 MB Total, 3365 MB Free

Display Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS (256MB Memory)

Resolution 1280x800@60Hz

DirectX 10

Edited by RubberDuck