Is Plink Compatible With Windows 7 For Ssh Tunneling?

SilverSilk

Hello everyone...glad to be here to learn!! I have search Google on the topic as well as the forums here, but was unable to find an answer. I have also watched all the Hak5 videos on SSH tunneling.

I am using Windows 7. I have downloaded "FreeSSHD" & "Plink(Putty)" for the tunnel. I have been successful in getting freesshd up and running...however...Plink can not be found when I type in the code in the command prompt to install it. I checked the Hash number and it is a good download.

I ran a compatibility check on it in windows and it said it is not compatible. Then, I searched around for drivers for plink in Windows 7 and could not find any. Could not find out if Plink is even compatible with Windows 7. My questions are:

1. Is Plink compatible with Windows 7?

2. Must I use Cygwin and if so, is there a different procedure to install it than Plink?

3. If the top two questions are no, is there any other free software to install to make ssh tunneling work?

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/faq.html

Via the FAQ's, If its 32 bit win7, then yes, if 64 bit, then you might have to run in compatibility mode, but I havent tried it myself yet.

You should just download it from the site and try it. What do you have to lose? You could have answered your own question if you just went to thr putty site and tried it:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatha...y/download.html

Via the FAQ's, If its 32 bit win7, then yes, if 64 bit, then you might have to run in compatibility mode, but I havent tried it myself yet.

You should just download it from the site and try it. What do you have to lose? You could have answered your own question if you just went to thr putty site and tried it:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatha...y/download.html

Hello....unfortunately the 3 questions I posed are not discussed in the FAQ section a the Putty site. There is no mention of Windows 7...32bit or 64bit being compatible with Plink.

I use PuTTY on Win7 64 bit all the time with no problems. I've used it on Vista 64 bit as well. I haven't used Plink, but I have passed command-line arguments directly to putty before:

putty -P 22 charles@hostname.domain -i key.ppk

I think it uses the same arguments.

EDIT: list of command-line arguments can be found here.

I tried using plink.exe on my xp box at work and all I got was a bunch of extra characters - probably cuz cmd.exe doesn't know what to do with them.

Example - I did an ls from my home directory:

←]0;charles@thor: ~charles@thor:~$ ls
←[0m←[01;32mbackup←[0m    dead.letter  ←[01;32mdvdbk←[0m        ←[01;32mmonth←[0
m     olddocs   rootcron  sudo
←[01;32mbdupdate←[0m  ←[01;32mdocbk←[0m        ←[01;32mdvdrs←[0m        ←[01;32m
monthly←[0m   ←[01;32molddvdbk←[0m  ←[01;32msmart←[0m     ←[01;32mtest←[0m
←[01;32mbitscan←[0m   ←[01;32mdocbk.bk←[0m     fscklog.txt  ←[01;32mmountbk←[0m
  ←[01;32mraid←[0m      smartmon  testbk
←[01;32mcheck←[0m     ←[01;32mdocrs←[0m        ipaddress    ←[01;32molddocbk←[0m
  ←[01;32mres←[0m       ←[01;32mstart←[0m     ←[01;32mtestmo←[0m
←[m←]0;charles@thor: ~charles@thor:~$

Those extra characters look like escape sequences for echo.. which I'm guessing cmd doesn't like.

I'll let you know if it works with Win 7 x64 when I get home.

Same "random" characters appear when I run plink from a cmd window on Win7 64bit. It runs tho.

Their site states it works in 32bit, but would probably have issues in 64bit. I imagine it would need to be compiled for 64bit from source if thats the case, and that might take care of the issues, but then again, might just be a plink issue to begin with not meant for 64bit systems.

The thing is, that it did the same with a x86 XP box. I don't know if there is a setting that fixes it, but it looks horrid.

I don't really see any reason not to use putty for SSH, as you can pass on command-line arguments to it without any problems.

Only difference is that putty opens in it's own terminal instead of the cmd window.