Home Server and Home Networking Project

7h3kk1d

I'm building a desktop sized linux server/HTPC to use in my dorm room and I kinda wanted advice on software which might come in handy and networking advice. I am not quite sure what kind of switch and router I would need and what would be compatible with everything. I also wanted to know what would be the best way to share my media from the server to my macbook pro and my roommates desktop.

Router I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833122326

Switch? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833122111

an old linksys wrt54g would be sufficent for your needs i reckon.

no need to go nuts with expense...

particularly if you install some custom firmware like ddwrt or tomato...these will give you access to some really cool enterprise features..

Sorry I wasn't really specific enough.

I have another laptop I need to connect via ethernet I also have an xbox 360 which needs an ethernet plug in and frequently have LAN Partys so it would be convenient to have an already setup switch.

My mac supports wireless N and I do a lot of stuff in bed with my laptop and would like to be able to transfer files from the new desktop to my laptop at as fast rates as possible so wireless-N and gigabit ports would be preferred but an open firmware would definitely be a plus.

By sharing media I will have XBMC installed on the desktop to play files locally and I would like to have an FTP server set up in order to hookup XBMC on my laptop to stream video over the wifi locally and hopefully over the internet. (I have no idea how to do this :( ). I would also like to access my itunes media remotely if this is at all possible. A samba server would definitely be nice. I was wondering if there was any way to access my media(movies and music) remotely from someone else's computer using a web browser or vlc.

I was also planning on installing deluge in order to download torrents remotely. Is it possible to set this up with multiple users whose torrents I can manage as an administrator.

Thank you

i run uShare on my CentOS box which allows me to stream audio/video to my 360, but im not sure how to go about streaming it over the internet or through a web browser other than setting up a web server and navigating to the media.

sounds like you have quite the projects ahead of you.

Cool that will be useful for my 360. Ya I know it's a pretty big project but i figure it will be a good thing to work on over the next year or so. And I also figure I can run some pretty cool tests if i have a dedicated desktop to work on.