Ultimate Server

RvB

Hey guys i recently got my hands on a EEE PC 701 with 1GB RAM and 4GB SSD

So i was thinking of throwing Eeebuntu on it and making it like a ultimate server that would do the following

HIGH PRIORITY:

-SSH for connecting over from public wifis to do some secure browsing

-Back up and file share for time machine. I wanted to attach a spare HDD via USB and making it a file share so that all the other computers can access it over the network and my macbook can backup to it using Time Machine

Low Priority:

-I wanted to put some media on the HDD so that something like Orb or Simplify Media (i need a open source equivalent) could be used to stream music and pics (no vids) over the internet to some other

-FTP for gettings and sending files.

My house router resolves its the Dynamic IP to DynDNS so i dont need to remember IP addresses to connect to the network.

Guys have any idea on how to get this stared on this, and which linux distro to use, I currently have EEEbuntu standard running on it

I have no idea on how to get these started on Linux and windows is not stable on the machine(already tried and tested)

Also if you guys have any more ideas for the server.

Hey,

on my home server i run debian 5 as the host OS, (but you could use ubuntu although i dont really like it)

you can install openssh to do your secure www access and to remote admin the server if your out and about from something like a blackberry (i use mdipssh on my black berry to admin my server)

use steps 4 and 5 to setup openssh and vim-nox (its a "fixed" version of vi)

http://www.howtoforge.org/perfect-server-d...y-ispconfig2-p3

proftpd is my prefered FTP server config here

http://www.howtoforge.org/perfect-server-d...y-ispconfig2-p5

you can use media tomb as a media host

http://revision3.com/systm/mediatomb

and samba can be used to share files with windows hosts and any other systems

http://www.ctunion.com/node/53

Hey guys i recently got my hands on a EEE PC 701 with 1GB RAM and 4GB SSD

So i was thinking of throwing Eeebuntu on it and making it like a ultimate server that would do the following

HIGH PRIORITY:

-SSH for connecting over from public wifis to do some secure browsing

-Back up and file share for time machine. I wanted to attach a spare HDD via USB and making it a file share so that all the other computers can access it over the network and my macbook can backup to it using Time Machine

Low Priority:

-I wanted to put some media on the HDD so that something like Orb or Simplify Media (i need a open source equivalent) could be used to stream music and pics (no vids) over the internet to some other

-FTP for gettings and sending files.

My house router resolves its the Dynamic IP to DynDNS so i dont need to remember IP addresses to connect to the network.

Guys have any idea on how to get this stared on this, and which linux distro to use, I currently have EEEbuntu standard running on it

I have no idea on how to get these started on Linux and windows is not stable on the machine(already tried and tested)

Also if you guys have any more ideas for the server.

Why not just install ubuntu server to it instead? Time machine might be slightly unstable on it. I've never had good luck with it on non-time machine hardware, my current time machine backup is to my osx server. With a couple external usb drives you should have plenty of space for music and pics.

i have been looking at building an opensuse JeOS disk image (provided there is enough support for other hardware and packages...) for home server setups, (using susestudio and a little dev work) but i have always prefered debian for anything linux so i havent done it yet because i havent yet learned enough about SuSE to throw myself around in it like i do debian,

ubuntu just makes me want to vomit! :lol: